Building Coaxial transmission line on PCB?

Started by Geronimo Stempovski February 12, 2007
On 2007-02-12, Geronimo Stempovski <geronimo.stempovski@arcor.de> wrote:
> > "John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag > news:urq0t2533bdm5e2t2ui82b7fo8ppvsbqs8@4ax.com... >> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstrip > > Microstrip has absolutely nothing to do with the coaxial > structure I had in mind.
If you're such an expert, why are you asking here? In my experience working with stuff in the low end of the microwave region (~ 1GHz), microstrip is pretty much what everybody uses as a PC board alternative to coax. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! NANCY!! Why is at everything RED?! visi.com
"Geronimo Stempovski" <geronimo.stempovski@arcor.de> wrote in message
>I think transmitting high-speed signals is very easy when you have a >360-degree ground reference, round conductors, > and no other nearby signals like in coaxial cables. My aim is to design PCB > tracks as much like a coaxial cable as > possible. Anyone tried this before?
I haven't tried it myself, but it's not entirely uncommon in microwave designs to do something like this -- it's essentially a stripline design with a "picket fence" worth of vias to serve as the sidewalls. I suspect the reason it isn't particular popular is that the performance isn't that much better than a stripline, the models for it aren't found in ADS/Microwave Office/Ansoft Designer, and the manufacturing costs may be higher. ("Maybe" because I've seen a lot of people who've started transitioning from microstrip to a co-planar waveguide, which requires a bazillion drill hits as well. You trade off the number of drill hits for isolation...) ---Joel
Gero,

Why?

Seems others have already progressed to the "abuse" phase, however I am
curious.

If microstrip, or stripline constrains the electric fields such that for
all practical purposes the matched line does not radiate, why is a
coaxial line any better?  The only benefit of a coaxial line is that
unmatched, it can not radiate (all the RF energy has to come out of the
ends).

Is this a concern for radiated emissions?

Again, unmatched microstrip or stripline structures can be engineered
with adjacent shielding such that EMI/RFI should not be an issue.

Trying to create a coaxial guide by placing many vias and metal lines is
just too ugly to even think about without a valid reason.  Once the
reason is known, the first or second approximation to the structure is
probably completely adequate.

Austin
"Geronimo Stempovski" <geronimo.stempovski@arcor.de> wrote in message
> I think transmitting high-speed signals is very easy when you have a > 360-degree ground reference, round conductors, > and no other nearby signals like in coaxial cables. My aim is to design
PCB
> tracks as much like a coaxial cable as > possible. Anyone tried this before? Is it possible with regular FR4,
anyway?
> Thanks for your help. > > Gero >
Had trouble with crosstalk on a mass of video signals. Cured with a multilayer board where each signal was 'boxed in' by ground plane to the sides, above and below. Sort of square coax. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
Geronimo Stempovski wrote:
> I think transmitting high-speed signals is very easy when you have a > 360-degree ground reference, round conductors, > and no other nearby signals like in coaxial cables. My aim is to design PCB > tracks as much like a coaxial cable as > possible. Anyone tried this before? Is it possible with regular FR4, anyway? > Thanks for your help. > > Gero > >
I would think that would be difficult and/or costly. Working from bottom to top: Start with (say) 6 mil laminate 0.5/0.5 at bottom; bottom layer has a narrow stripe to emulate the lowest part of a coax, and top part is a wider stripe: both ground (shield). Next layer (#2) is (say) 6 mil laminate 0/0.5 (ie bottom has no copper and top is 0.5 ounce); stripe is wider and is ground. "Middle" or next layer is (say) 6 mil laminate 0/0.5 (ie bottom has no copper and top is 0.5 ounce); 3 stripes: ground / center conductor / ground. Next layer is (say) 6 mil laminate 0/0.5 (ie bottom has no copper and top is 0.5 ounce); stripe is as wide as layer #2. Then use (say) 6 mil laminate 0/0.5 at top; where the top copper has a "wide" stripe same as first laminate top stripe as ground. Finish with (say) 6 mil laminate 0/0.5 at top; where the top copper has a "narrow" stripe same as first laminate bottom stripe as ground. Use more layers if they are thinner. Use vias liberally for tying the ground stripes together. Note the 6 mils is a wild guess.
John Fields wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:10:43 +0100, "Geronimo Stempovski" > <geronimo.stempovski@arcor.de> wrote: > > >>I think transmitting high-speed signals is very easy when you have a >>360-degree ground reference, round conductors, >>and no other nearby signals like in coaxial cables. My aim is to design PCB >>tracks as much like a coaxial cable as >>possible. Anyone tried this before? Is it possible with regular FR4, anyway? >>Thanks for your help. > > > --- > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstrip > >
He said "coax"...
Fred Bloggs wrote:

> >> I think transmitting high-speed signals is very easy when you have a >> 360-degree ground reference, round conductors, >> and no other nearby signals like in coaxial cables. My aim is to >> design PCB tracks as much like a coaxial cable as >> possible. Anyone tried this before? > > > Nope- in all the decades of high speed PC circuit design, you are the > first to think of it! > >> Is it possible with regular FR4, anyway? > > > Not even close, the "phase velocity," or speed to you, will be less than > that of free space by a factor of 1/sqrt(epsilon-sub-r), so go figure. > >
Gee, coax cables, even those that use spiral teflon seperators, are like that...
Which is just one more way of implementing a line. As is a piece of wire in some medium. Ridiculous cross-post level reduced by setting follow-ups. -- <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt> <http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423> "A man who is right every time is not likely to do very much." -- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA "There is nothing more amazing than stupidity in action." -- Thomas Matthews
---------------------------------------------------------- Boxed ! the wavelength is far greater than your dimensions , thus higher modes can not exist , thus you do NOT need sides . When you reach 10 Ghz , then maybe you need sides in ur boxed "coax" . But the big joke , is in the real world , they use cheap PCB to xmit 2.5 Ghz . No strip line , no microstrip , nada .. It works well , so quit arguing reality . BTW , i saw some novice , trying to use juice cans to launch WiFi . He figured the more cans , the more gain . He had 3 cans , T'd . to divide the power . Gain is not in cans , its in size of the dish . Another book worm said all i needed was $26 for 100 meters of blah blah coax at 2.5 Ghz .. 10 times that price ! and 1.8" dia hard line ! At these wavelengths , its lower loss to send it TEM and thru the air , not thru a coax . This is goin to FPGA ? Do those relics still exist ?! Oh well , i supose ya gotta try to "protect" your firmware by reinventing the CPU !
"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:39:30 +0100, "Geronimo Stempovski" > <geronimo.stempovski@arcor.de> wrote: > >> >>"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag >>news:urq0t2533bdm5e2t2ui82b7fo8ppvsbqs8@4ax.com... >>> >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstrip >>> >> >>Microstrip has absolutely nothing to do with the coaxial structure I had >>in >>mind. > > --- > Well, Mister Nasty-Ass, what exactly did you have in mind, then? > > > -- > JF
How DARE you not know what he had in mind! Bob