50+ MIPS flash MCU needed

Started by Antti March 25, 2007
hi

anybody knows options for 50+MIPS 8/16 bit flash MCU?

besides PIC/SX/SiLabs? there must some around..

should FAST and cheap. not much flash required. internal oscillator is
a must.

Antti

On 25 Mar 2007 09:32:54 -0700, "Antti" <Antti.Lukats@xilant.com> wrote:

>hi > >anybody knows options for 50+MIPS 8/16 bit flash MCU? > >besides PIC/SX/SiLabs? there must some around.. > >should FAST and cheap. not much flash required. internal oscillator is >a must. > >Antti
LPC2101 ARM satisfies 50 MIPs and fast/cheap, but no internal osc.
Antti wrote:

> hi > > anybody knows options for 50+MIPS 8/16 bit flash MCU? > > besides PIC/SX/SiLabs? there must some around.. > > should FAST and cheap. not much flash required. internal oscillator is > a must.
Hi Antti, Pin count ? Other resourced needed ? Level of maths required ? Any op-code speed mins ? -jg
Antti wrote:
> hi > > anybody knows options for 50+MIPS 8/16 bit flash MCU? > > besides PIC/SX/SiLabs? there must some around.. > > should FAST and cheap. not much flash required. internal oscillator is > a must.
Assuming 'not much flash' also means 'not many pins' : The cheapest device, on cents/MIPS, by far, is the new SiLabs C8051FT6xx - all variants have the CalOsc, and Silabs claim "pricing beginning at $0.45 in quantities of 10K", so that's under 2cents/MIP - this also runs at full speed, down to 1.8V, as I'm guessing Lower voltage matters more to you than 5V. -jg
Antti wrote:
> hi > > anybody knows options for 50+MIPS 8/16 bit flash MCU? > > besides PIC/SX/SiLabs? there must some around.. > > should FAST and cheap. not much flash required. internal oscillator is > a must. > > Antti >
Freescale 56F8xxx "hybrid" DSP's might fit the bill. Some of them are pretty small and cheap, and they have good and fast internal oscillators. Small ColdFire devices might be another choice, depending on what you mean by "cheap".
On Mar 25, 12:32 pm, "Antti" <Antti.Luk...@xilant.com> wrote:
> hi > > anybody knows options for 50+MIPS 8/16 bit flash MCU? > > besides PIC/SX/SiLabs? there must some around.. > > should FAST and cheap. not much flash required. internal oscillator is > a must.
Not sure if by "internal oscillator" you mean a free running clock or a crystal oscillator on chip with external crystal. The Luminary Micro Stellaris parts contain an internal free running clock. This runs at 15 MHz, but you may be able to run this through the PLL to get the 50 MHz you need. Typically the internal clocks are not very accurate or temperature stable. So you may have to set it to something well below 50 MHz to make sure it is within the correct tolerance. I expect this is going to be an issue with nearly any 50+ MHz processor, but not so much with the slower, low end parts around 4-20 MHz.
"Antti" <Antti.Lukats@xilant.com> skrev i meddelandet
> hi > > anybody knows options for 50+MIPS 8/16 bit flash MCU? > > besides PIC/SX/SiLabs? there must some around.. > > should FAST and cheap. not much flash required. internal oscillator is > a must. > > Antti >
Take an ARM and execute out of SRAM. Most ARMs have an oscillator on chip (but you maybe wanted an onchip R/C oscillator :-) If so, what is the problem in having an external resonator? You did not mention package size? What is "not much flash"? Internal studies shows that SAM7 has faster access to SRAM than LPC. Asked a question here if anyone else seen the same thing, but saw no reply. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB

Antti wrote:

> anybody knows options for 50+MIPS 8/16 bit flash MCU? > besides PIC/SX/SiLabs? there must some around.. > should FAST and cheap. not much flash required. internal oscillator is > a must.
You may want to take a look at TMS 28xx series, although it is 32 bit. VLV
On Mar 25, 9:32 am, "Antti" <Antti.Luk...@xilant.com> wrote:
> hi > > anybody knows options for 50+MIPS 8/16 bit flash MCU? > > besides PIC/SX/SiLabs? there must some around.. > > should FAST and cheap. not much flash required. internal oscillator is > a must. > > Antti
Hi, first I would not know about a PIC approaching 50 MIPS. What about the LPC2364, not really small but really good price and has internal oscillator. Gives you >60 MIPS internal Flash, 4 MHz oscillator + PLL. Robert
"Antti" <Antti.Lukats@xilant.com> skrev i meddelandet
> hi > > anybody knows options for 50+MIPS 8/16 bit flash MCU? > > besides PIC/SX/SiLabs? there must some around.. > > should FAST and cheap. not much flash required. internal oscillator is > a must.
Most high speed micros are 32 bit, but they are dropping in price. If by internal oscillator, you do not mean internal R/C oscillator, you can always run an ARM from internal SRAM to get max speed. Internal tests shows that an SAM7 is superior to LPC parts when both are executing from SRAM at the same clock frequency. I asked a question some time ago, if anyone seen similar results but got no replies. How much flash is needed?
> > Antti >
-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference