[OT] Freescale English?

Started by FreeRTOS.org August 29, 2007
In article <13de17n926n6068@corp.supernews.com>, marcus hall says...
> In article <grOdneDd7eA7ckjbnZ2dnUVZ_vyinZ2d@omsoft.com>, > Jim Stewart <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote: > >Anyone watch the Canadian show "How it's Made"? > > > >Marvelous show that takes you into factories and > >shows how things are made. The dialog appears > >to have been written in French/Canadian then > >translated and narrated word-for-word into English. > >All sorts of amusing little usage and technical mis- > >translations. > > That was one of my kids' favorite shows a couple of years ago.. They would > even "play 'How It's Made'"...
I've always wondered what age group it was aimed at.
> Anyhow, the original narration did seem to be word-for-word translated > to english, with the units still in metric. It seems that they then added
I didn't get the impression it was badly translated but badly written to begin with.
"Paul Burke" <paul@scazon.com> wrote in message
> FreeRTOS.org wrote: >> >> "than what the 56F8365 has" - why is there a 'what' in that sentence? >> Sounds cockney. > > Phrasing, my boy. It's not the REAL Santa, it's a Subordinate Claus. > > Read it as "needing a little more memory (than what the 56F8365 > has to offer)" - brackets indicating the phrase grouping.
My English teacher would have had kittens at that superfluous "what". It should be "needing a little more memory (than the 56F8365 has to offer)", of course. The additional "what" does indeed sound cockney, or just educationally-challenged. Anyone watch F1 on ITV in the UK? Mark Blundell does this a lot. "Those Ferraris have a bit more grunt than what the McLarens have" etc. Makes me cringe every time ;). Steve http://www.fivetrees.com
Jim Stewart escribi&#4294967295;:
> Paul Carpenter wrote: > >> Very tongue in cheek for humourously challenged. >> >>> Sounds like either english is NOT the writer's original language, >>> of their cubicle is too close to marketing ;) >> >> Probably written by some one with a Media Studies degree. Very UK'ian >> but I am sure you get the drift. > > Anyone watch the Canadian show "How it's Made"? > > Marvelous show that takes you into factories and > shows how things are made. The dialog appears > to have been written in French/Canadian then > translated and narrated word-for-word into English. > All sorts of amusing little usage and technical mis- > translations.
I'm Spanish, so I'm losing most of the puns here. But I can't resist commenting on this: I remember a James Bond's movie, where "Silicon Valley" ("Valle del silicio") was mistransalted into Spanish to "Valle de la silicona" ("Silicone Valley"). Imagine lots of artificial boobs jumping across a valley, and you'll get the picture I got.
"Ignacio G.T." <igtorque.remove@evomer.yahoo.es> writes:
> I'm Spanish, so I'm losing most of the puns here. But I can't resist > commenting on this: I remember a James Bond's movie, where "Silicon > Valley" ("Valle del silicio") was mistransalted into Spanish to "Valle > de la silicona" ("Silicone Valley"). Imagine lots of artificial boobs > jumping across a valley, and you'll get the picture I got.
Even we English speakers get that one wrong about half the time! Isn't Hollywood in Silicone Valley?