RS232 Development Board

Started by ratemonotonic September 17, 2007
Hi All ,

Does any one know an off the shelf (and cheap) development board with
3 RS232 ports?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rate

On Sep 17, 3:11 pm, ratemonotonic <niladri1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does any one know an off the shelf (and cheap) development board with > 3 RS232 ports?
You've asked this question a dozen times at least. If you have not yet received a satisfactory answer then build one.

ratemonotonic wrote:

> Hi All , > > Does any one know an off the shelf (and cheap) development board with > 3 RS232 ports?
Get an old PC. VLV
On 17/09/2007 ratemonotonic wrote:

> Hi All , > > Does any one know an off the shelf (and cheap) development board with > 3 RS232 ports? > > Thanks in advance for any help. > > Rate
A PIC16F84 and three MAX3110E. Can't get much cheaper than that. -- John B
"ratemonotonic" <niladri1979@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All , > > Does any one know an off the shelf (and cheap) development board with > 3 RS232 ports? > > Thanks in advance for any help. > > Rate >
The question doesn't make sense to me. What would the 3 RS232 ports be connected to? If you are referring to a low cost MCU development board that has three bi-directional RS232 ports, and allows you to practice RS232 communications with either C or assembly code and also has a series of output LED's for easy debug...then the answer is 'no' I don't know of any. Thomas
> Does any one know an off the shelf (and cheap) development board with > 3 RS232 ports?
I thought I saw one of the ARM boards at Olimex that has 3 RS232 ports. Some time ago, but go check.
On 2007-09-17, Vladimir Vassilevsky <antispam_bogus@hotmail.com>

|"ratemonotonic wrote:                                                  |
|> Hi All ,                                                             |
|>                                                                      |
|> Does any one know an off the shelf (and cheap) development board with|
|> 3 RS232 ports?                                                       |
|Get an old PC."                                                        |

An old PC would have one RS232 port instead of three of them.
On Sep 18, 12:24 pm, Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Glos...@ACM.org>
wrote:

> |> 3 RS232 ports?
> |Get an old PC."
> An old PC would have one RS232 port instead of three of them.
An old PC would have ISA, EISA, VLB and/or PCI slots, in addition to USB, any of which would provide a route to add additional RS232 ports. Additionally, any truly old PC would much more likely have two RS232 ports, not one.

Colin Paul Gloster wrote:

> On 2007-09-17, Vladimir Vassilevsky <antispam_bogus@hotmail.com> > wrote: > > |> Does any one know an off the shelf (and cheap) development board with| > |> 3 RS232 ports? |
> |Get an old PC." | > > An old PC would have one RS232 port instead of three of them.
???? An old PC has at least two RS-232 ports, and you can easily add another two. Having more then four COM ports on the old PC is possible although it is not as trivial. However you can get a newer PC and enjoy up to 16 USB to RS232 dongles. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com

The MOD5270 dev kit has three uarts, two with RS-232 level shifters, one at TTL levels. http://www.netburner.com/products/development_kits/network_development.html If you don't need the Ethernet the MOD5213 has the same without the ethernet. http://www.netburner.com/products/development_kits/embedded_development.html Paul CTO Netburner