How To Synchronize FPGAs

Started by Leroy Tanner September 22, 2004
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:26:49 +0200, "Leroy Tanner"
<ikeepthespiritalive@freenet.de> wrote:

>"Paul Keinanen" <keinanen@sci.fi>: >
>lambda = c / f >c= 300.000 km/s >f = 3 GHz for example, then the wavelength should be > >lamba = c / f = 300000/3000000000 = 3/30 = 10 cm!!!
This is true only for free space (and quite exactly for air). With other insulators,the situation is different.
>I assume this result is correct by all means. Where does the material come >into play???
For instance, look up the velocity factor for various coaxial cables with PE insulation, the velocity factor is 0.66, the signal propagates at about 200 000 km/s in that coaxial cable. Also light propagates at different speeds in different materials. Put a spoon in the tea cup and it will appear as if there is a bend at the surface. In reality, this is due to the fact that the water has a lower propagation speed than air and thus there is also a difference in refractive index. Paul