novice - embedded linux

Started by ven2007 November 5, 2007
hi

I am new to embedded linux but not new to embedded systems.
I have an dev board ( LPC2148 - ARM7TDMI) at hand

I would like to know where to get started to start working with embedded
linux?
Do I need to know about linux device drivers to proceed ?

Any guidance is appreciated

thanks in advance

"ven2007" <reachvenhere@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi > > I am new to embedded linux but not new to embedded systems. > I have an dev board ( LPC2148 - ARM7TDMI) at hand > > I would like to know where to get started to start working with embedded > linux? > Do I need to know about linux device drivers to proceed ? > > Any guidance is appreciated > > thanks in advance >
I believe you need an MMU to run Linux, which the LPC2148 does not have. There is a port of uCLinux for the LPC2000 family, I suggest you start by looking this up. However, the LPC2148 only has 32K of RAM so this might be pi**ing into the wind whatever. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org 13 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
ven2007 escribi&#4294967295;:
> hi > > I am new to embedded linux but not new to embedded systems. > I have an dev board ( LPC2148 - ARM7TDMI) at hand > > I would like to know where to get started to start working with embedded > linux? > Do I need to know about linux device drivers to proceed ? > > Any guidance is appreciated
I always like to read introductory material before getting my hands dirty with something new. If you are like me, I'd begin reading: Embedded Linux Primer, by Christopher Hallinan. These sites might also be helpful: http://free-electrons.com/ http://linuxdevices.com/ http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/ comp.os.linux.embedded
>ven2007 escribi&#65533;: >> hi >> >> I am new to embedded linux but not new to embedded systems. >> I have an dev board ( LPC2148 - ARM7TDMI) at hand >> >> I would like to know where to get started to start working with
embedded
>> linux? >> Do I need to know about linux device drivers to proceed ? >> >> Any guidance is appreciated > >I always like to read introductory material before getting my hands >dirty with something new. If you are like me, I'd begin reading: > >Embedded Linux Primer, by Christopher Hallinan. > >These sites might also be helpful: > >http://free-electrons.com/ >http://linuxdevices.com/ >http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/ > >comp.os.linux.embedded >
Thanks for the recommendations Will get this book and learn some more stuff before plunging into embedded linux.