40+ MIPS low cost MCU

Started by Antti December 19, 2007
Hi

I am looking for simple cheap thumb MCU requirements

1 40+ MIPS
2 16 + IO pins
3 single cycle GPIO port
4 16+ KB flash (32k if mcu is 32 bit one)
5 optionally FS USB device
6 preffered onchip high speed oscillator

low cost < 2.0 usd (little more if usb is present)

SAM7 have slow GPIO
the microchips new MIPS based one, dont have pricing and gpio speed
info

any chip that fits the profile?

Antti would be real glad for any hints

TMS320F2401 or the small DSPs from FreeScale come to mind. What are you trying to build? Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant www.abvolt.com
STM32 $1.80 without FS USB, a little more with http://www.st.com/stonline/products/promlit/pdf/brstm320807.pdf
On 19 Dez., 15:13, steve <bungalow_st...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 7:16 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > Hi > > > I am looking for simple cheap thumb MCU requirements > > > 1 40+ MIPS > > 2 16 + IO pins > > 3 single cycle GPIO port > > 4 16+ KB flash (32k if mcu is 32 bit one) > > 5 optionally FS USB device > > 6 preffered onchip high speed oscillator > > > low cost < 2.0 usd (little more if usb is present) > > > SAM7 have slow GPIO > > the microchips new MIPS based one, dont have pricing and gpio speed > > info > > > any chip that fits the profile? > > > Antti would be real glad for any hints > > STM32 $1.80 without FS USB, a little more with > > http://www.st.com/stonline/products/promlit/pdf/brstm320807.pdf- Zitierten Text ausblenden - > > - Zitierten Text anzeigen -
wau you have nice prices for for STM32 if you did give real prices (not advertied 1Mio/year pricing or something) digikey price indicator for them is around 3.5 usd, even more then luminary stuff i was almost thinking STM32 myself but assumed it to be out of price range the smallest STM32 look pretty neat in QFN36 package but this package not available on digikey yet :( anyway nice to see that STM32 claims 18mhz SPI master-serial and 18 mhz GPIO toggle rates, similar info is not always easy to find by first look ah, about the function needed - its custom 8 bit parallel interfaces clocked at 4MHz so about 40 MIPS is required as minimum (assumed 1 clock GPIO access) thansk for suggestions, but eh maybe there some more that fit the bill ? Antti
PIC32 GPIO speed is very good, at 72 Mhz you can toggle i/o pins. see: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=293191&mpage=3 http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=293191&mpage=4 for now no USB..
On 19 Dez., 17:42, tesla <yusufil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > the microchips new MIPS based one, dont have pricing and gpio speed > > info > > PIC32 GPIO speed is very good, at 72 Mhz you can toggle i/o pins. > see: > > http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=293191&mpage=3http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=293191&mpage=4 > > for now no USB..
yes looked PIC32 too, but 1) NO SILICON offered by digikey.. this is good-bad indicator of availability 2) I assume the pricing be outside 2 usd range too much even the STM32 doesnt seem to have the QFN36 variants shipping yet :( avnet pricing for smallest STM32 is 2.8 USD qty 1 what is damn good already sure i want the pricing below that, but 2.8 qty pricing is good sign that target price can met for STM32 for PIC32 i bet it takes another 3 to 6 month to get any silicon and somewhat correct pricing (I maybe wrong, maybe the PIC32 pricing will be known and wonderful for this christmas already) Antti who is still looking for more alternatives
On Dec 19, 10:27 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 19 Dez., 15:13, steve <bungalow_st...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > > > > > On Dec 19, 7:16 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote: > > > > Hi > > > > I am looking for simple cheap thumb MCU requirements > > > > 1 40+ MIPS > > > 2 16 + IO pins > > > 3 single cycle GPIO port > > > 4 16+ KB flash (32k if mcu is 32 bit one) > > > 5 optionally FS USB device > > > 6 preffered onchip high speed oscillator > > > > low cost < 2.0 usd (little more if usb is present) > > > > SAM7 have slow GPIO > > > the microchips new MIPS based one, dont have pricing and gpio speed > > > info > > > > any chip that fits the profile? > > > > Antti would be real glad for any hints > > > STM32 $1.80 without FS USB, a little more with > > >http://www.st.com/stonline/products/promlit/pdf/brstm320807.pdf-Zitierten Text ausblenden - > > > - Zitierten Text anzeigen - > > wau you have nice prices for for STM32 if you did give real prices > (not advertied 1Mio/year pricing or something) > > digikey price indicator for them is around 3.5 usd, even more then > luminary stuff > > i was almost thinking STM32 myself but assumed it to be out of price > range > > the smallest STM32 look pretty neat in QFN36 package > but this package not available on digikey yet :( > > anyway nice to see that STM32 claims 18mhz SPI master-serial and 18 > mhz GPIO toggle rates, > similar info is not always easy to find by first look > > ah, about the function needed - its custom 8 bit parallel interfaces > clocked at 4MHz > > so about 40 MIPS is required as minimum (assumed 1 clock GPIO access) > > thansk for suggestions, but eh maybe there some more that fit the > bill ? > > Antti- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
it's 10K distributor pricing, not retail (digikey) price, since you didn't mention quantities, I had to guess 18Mhz GPIO is running from FLASH at 72Mhz, 2 wait states, maybe run your code from zero wait state ram the smallest package was added later, it now seems active, guess digikey/mouser should see it soon
On 19 Dez., 18:16, steve <bungalow_st...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 10:27 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > On 19 Dez., 15:13, steve <bungalow_st...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > > On Dec 19, 7:16 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote: > > > > > Hi > > > > > I am looking for simple cheap thumb MCU requirements > > > > > 1 40+ MIPS > > > > 2 16 + IO pins > > > > 3 single cycle GPIO port > > > > 4 16+ KB flash (32k if mcu is 32 bit one) > > > > 5 optionally FS USB device > > > > 6 preffered onchip high speed oscillator > > > > > low cost < 2.0 usd (little more if usb is present) > > > > > SAM7 have slow GPIO > > > > the microchips new MIPS based one, dont have pricing and gpio speed > > > > info > > > > > any chip that fits the profile? > > > > > Antti would be real glad for any hints > > > > STM32 $1.80 without FS USB, a little more with > > > >http://www.st.com/stonline/products/promlit/pdf/brstm320807.pdf-Zitie...Text ausblenden - > > > > - Zitierten Text anzeigen - > > > wau you have nice prices for for STM32 if you did give real prices > > (not advertied 1Mio/year pricing or something) > > > digikey price indicator for them is around 3.5 usd, even more then > > luminary stuff > > > i was almost thinking STM32 myself but assumed it to be out of price > > range > > > the smallest STM32 look pretty neat in QFN36 package > > but this package not available on digikey yet :( > > > anyway nice to see that STM32 claims 18mhz SPI master-serial and 18 > > mhz GPIO toggle rates, > > similar info is not always easy to find by first look > > > ah, about the function needed - its custom 8 bit parallel interfaces > > clocked at 4MHz > > > so about 40 MIPS is required as minimum (assumed 1 clock GPIO access) > > > thansk for suggestions, but eh maybe there some more that fit the > > bill ? > > > Antti- Hide quoted text - > > > - Show quoted text - > > it's 10K distributor pricing, not retail (digikey) price, since you > didn't mention quantities, I had to guess > > 18Mhz GPIO is running from FLASH at 72Mhz, 2 wait states, maybe run > your code from zero wait state ram > > the smallest package was added later, it now seems active, guess > digikey/mouser should see it soon- Zitierten Text ausblenden - > > - Zitierten Text anzeigen -
eh, thanks another time for clarification, yes with 2,8 avnet online pricing i did assume 1.8 for 10k volume it defenetly fits the bill, actually the usb version maybe even better already ordered tqfp48 samples, hoping that the qfn would also be available JAN2008 ;) eh, the STM32 outperforms my needs even as it has nice DMA engine so the cpu performance could be even lower it looks that the DMA engine can handle most of the protocol needs Antti
On Dec 19, 7:27 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 19 Dez., 15:13, steve <bungalow_st...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > > > On Dec 19, 7:16 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote: > > > > Hi > > > > I am looking for simple cheap thumb MCU requirements > > > > 1 40+ MIPS > > > 2 16 + IO pins > > > 3 single cycle GPIO port > > > 4 16+ KB flash (32k if mcu is 32 bit one) > > > 5 optionally FS USB device > > > 6 preffered onchip high speed oscillator > > > > low cost < 2.0 usd (little more if usb is present) > > > > SAM7 have slow GPIO > > > the microchips new MIPS based one, dont have pricing and gpio speed > > > info > > > > any chip that fits the profile? > > > > Antti would be real glad for any hints > > > STM32 $1.80 without FS USB, a little more with > > >http://www.st.com/stonline/products/promlit/pdf/brstm320807.pdf-Zitierten Text ausblenden - > > > - Zitierten Text anzeigen - > > wau you have nice prices for for STM32 if you did give real prices > (not advertied 1Mio/year pricing or something)
I think USD$1.8 is for 10K of the 36MHz parts, but you need the 72MHz for USB anyway.
On Dec 19, 12:21 pm, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 19 Dez., 18:16, steve <bungalow_st...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > > > > > On Dec 19, 10:27 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote: > > > > On 19 Dez., 15:13, steve <bungalow_st...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > > > On Dec 19, 7:16 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote: > > > > > > Hi > > > > > > I am looking for simple cheap thumb MCU requirements > > > > > > 1 40+ MIPS > > > > > 2 16 + IO pins > > > > > 3 single cycle GPIO port > > > > > 4 16+ KB flash (32k if mcu is 32 bit one) > > > > > 5 optionally FS USB device > > > > > 6 preffered onchip high speed oscillator > > > > > > low cost < 2.0 usd (little more if usb is present) > > > > > > SAM7 have slow GPIO > > > > > the microchips new MIPS based one, dont have pricing and gpio speed > > > > > info > > > > > > any chip that fits the profile? > > > > > > Antti would be real glad for any hints > > > > > STM32 $1.80 without FS USB, a little more with > > > > >http://www.st.com/stonline/products/promlit/pdf/brstm320807.pdf-Zitie...ausblenden - > > > > > - Zitierten Text anzeigen - > > > > wau you have nice prices for for STM32 if you did give real prices > > > (not advertied 1Mio/year pricing or something) > > > > digikey price indicator for them is around 3.5 usd, even more then > > > luminary stuff > > > > i was almost thinking STM32 myself but assumed it to be out of price > > > range > > > > the smallest STM32 look pretty neat in QFN36 package > > > but this package not available on digikey yet :( > > > > anyway nice to see that STM32 claims 18mhz SPI master-serial and 18 > > > mhz GPIO toggle rates, > > > similar info is not always easy to find by first look > > > > ah, about the function needed - its custom 8 bit parallel interfaces > > > clocked at 4MHz > > > > so about 40 MIPS is required as minimum (assumed 1 clock GPIO access) > > > > thansk for suggestions, but eh maybe there some more that fit the > > > bill ? > > > > Antti- Hide quoted text - > > > > - Show quoted text - > > > it's 10K distributor pricing, not retail (digikey) price, since you > > didn't mention quantities, I had to guess > > > 18Mhz GPIO is running from FLASH at 72Mhz, 2 wait states, maybe run > > your code from zero wait state ram > > > the smallest package was added later, it now seems active, guess > > digikey/mouser should see it soon- Zitierten Text ausblenden - > > > - Zitierten Text anzeigen - > > eh, thanks another time for clarification, > > yes with 2,8 avnet online pricing i did assume 1.8 for 10k volume > > it defenetly fits the bill, actually the usb version maybe even better > already ordered tqfp48 samples, hoping that the qfn would also be > available JAN2008 ;) > > eh, the STM32 outperforms my needs even > as it has nice DMA engine so the cpu performance could be even lower > it looks that the DMA engine can handle most of the protocol needs > > Antti- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
yep, my opinion STM32 is current state of art for small high speed/ cheap micro, ...32 bits,tiny, runs down to 2 volts, low active AND standby power, internal high/low speed clocks, hardware division, lots of RAM, 12 bit a/d, DMA blah blah blah...next month it will be something different. Small QFN went active a few weeks ago, also a smaller package (less then 5x5mm) may be coming next year