ANN: new Pulsonix version 3 PCB software released

Started by Leon Heller March 12, 2004
Meindert Sprang wrote:
> "Jerry Avins" <jya@ieee.org> wrote in message >> Meindert Sprang wrote: > >>> The serial ports are completely accessible at register level >>> in NT and 2000. For the parallel port are numerous drivers >>> available that, once installed, allow any program to access >>> the parallel port at register level. >> >> Only if you do it right according to NT calls. It's not only a >> barrier to migration, but the extra time is distressing in a >> 66 MHz machine. > > That is simply not true. I have written several DOS applications > in the past that access serial ports at register level, i.e. > direct access to the serial chip. These application still run > fine in Windows NT and 2000. Only direct access to the printer > port is blocked.
Which is quite enough to foul up software. I had an extremely low cost application some years ago, whos primary function was to read a miniature cassette tape recorded in the equivalent of MFM with peculiar blocking. The interface was a single 25 cent CMOS chip, largely to set proper disconnected defaults. The functions included forward/reverse fast/slow (and off) motor control, head loading, and reading BOT/EOT markers and the raw MFM. We didn't mind tieing up the PC for the read period, so all was done in software - including clock/data separation. This involved some calibration against CPU clock speed and unfettered raw access to the printer port. In addition, why do you want to contribute to the MS oligarchy? Go and read their current EULAs with care and mounting horror. -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
Kevin Aylward wrote:

> I haven't personally run it under wine, but I have ran it quit a bit > under that Meta software emulator (cant remember the exact name) on suns > running Unix.
Do you mean Wabi? -- Wishing you good fortune, --Robin Kay-- (komadori)
Kevin Aylward posted in sci.electronics.cad , in article
<kK%4c.134$MV6.39@newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net>, at Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:27:52 -
0000:

> This is simply not true. 98 is crap. Have you actually read my other > posts? What part of 98 is limited to *64k* for its GUI headers did you > not understand? The GUI leaks. What part of writing to a:\ drive in 98 > locks everything else out did you not understand? This one fact tells > you what underlies 98. Think about what these facts actually imply. 98 > *can't* be stable because it continuously gobbles up memory and always > grinds to a halt. Its that simple. Go and actually try it.
LOL. If it is crap, it's not my problem. I don't use the a: drive anymore (just under MS-DOS and Linux) so I don't have 'this problem. My Win 98 never crashes, unless I do something that is known to make it crash. (call me lucky). Duh. -- Chaos Master&#4294967295; - Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil irc.brasnet.org - #xlinuxnews and #poa marreka.no-ip.com (ainda n&#4294967295;o pronto) LRU #327480
CBFalconer posted in sci.electronics.cad , in article
<40548DCA.28B35064@yahoo.com>, at Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:12:35 GMT:

> In addition, why do you want to contribute to the MS oligarchy? > Go and read their current EULAs with care and mounting horror.
I don't use XP because I'd have to download a LOT of patches and this would be a pain in the a** with my dial-up connection. Myself, I have some really old MS-DOS programs that do not run under XP. My $0.02. -- Chaos Master&#4294967295; - Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil irc.brasnet.org - #xlinuxnews and #poa marreka.no-ip.com (ainda n&#4294967295;o pronto) LRU #327480
> Meindert Sprang wrote: > > That is simply not true. I have written several DOS applications in the
past
> > that access serial ports at register level, i.e. direct access to the
serial
> > chip. These application still run fine in Windows NT and 2000. Only
direct
> > access to the printer port is blocked. > > > > Meindert > > You are the first correspondent who makes that claim. I'm sure you're > right, and I want to learn from you. If I were to add a printer port at > a non-standard address, would I be able to access that too?
No. Printer ports are not accessible at register level. But on the internet, several drivers/services are available that, once installed, allow programs to access specific or simply all hardware ports. The ones for printer ports are most famous because of the many ulitities that program microcontrollers etc. through an interface that is connected to a printer port. Meindert
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:21:52 -0200, Chaos Master
<wizard_of_yendorIHATESPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Kevin Aylward posted in sci.electronics.cad , in article ><kK%4c.134$MV6.39@newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net>, at Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:27:52 - >0000: > > >> This is simply not true. 98 is crap. Have you actually read my other >> posts? What part of 98 is limited to *64k* for its GUI headers did you >> not understand? The GUI leaks. What part of writing to a:\ drive in 98 >> locks everything else out did you not understand? This one fact tells >> you what underlies 98. Think about what these facts actually imply. 98 >> *can't* be stable because it continuously gobbles up memory and always >> grinds to a halt. Its that simple. Go and actually try it. > >LOL. If it is crap, it's not my problem. I don't use the a: drive anymore (just >under MS-DOS and Linux) so I don't have 'this problem. > >My Win 98 never crashes, unless I do something that is known to make it crash. >(call me lucky).
My 98 starts to misbehave almost every time when I empty the trash. Any clues? -- Boris Mohar
Leon Heller wrote:
> > "Chaos Master" <wizard_of_yendorIHATESPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:c30b4j$22gb0t$3@ID-88878.news.uni-berlin.de... > > Leon Heller posted in sci.electronics.cad , in article > > <4052d7a8$0$10149$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, at Sat, 13 Mar 2004 > 09:43:04 - > > 0000: > > > > > > > If you want another shock look at this abortion: > > > > > > http://www.otl.co.uk/ > > > > > > The developer seems to have a very high opinion of it, but it doesn't > even > > > have rubber-banding on the connections! > > > > And it does not run on Windows 98 (yeah, I know Kevin will flame me after > this). > > > > For other shock i'd look at VUTRAX, that has a GUI which I would call a > CUI > > (Confusing User Interface), IMHO. Their help system is a pain on the a**. > > A friend of mine has used the original DOS version of Vutrax for about 25 > years. It's probably because he comes from Yorkshire. 8-) > > I find it very strange that several PCB packages don't conform to the usual > intuitive way of selecting objects - just put the pointer on them and click > the mouse button. That's the way most other applications work these days.
Yes, that can be very awkward to learn and get used to. It comes from being around before GUIs. But I found Eagle was not hard to use once you got used to it. Some of the features were actually highly productive. But it is a PITA every time I go back to it from other, normal apps. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Dosnt ring a bell. Kevin Aylward salesEXTRACT@anasoft.co.uk http://www.anasoft.co.uk SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design. "quotes with no meaning, are meaningless" - Kevin Aylward.
Boris Mohar wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:21:52 -0200, Chaos Master > <wizard_of_yendorIHATESPAM@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> Kevin Aylward posted in sci.electronics.cad , in article >> <kK%4c.134$MV6.39@newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net>, at Sun, 14 Mar 2004 >> 16:27:52 - 0000: >> >> >>> This is simply not true. 98 is crap. Have you actually read my other >>> posts? What part of 98 is limited to *64k* for its GUI headers did >>> you not understand? The GUI leaks. What part of writing to a:\ >>> drive in 98 locks everything else out did you not understand? This >>> one fact tells you what underlies 98. Think about what these facts >>> actually imply. 98 *can't* be stable because it continuously >>> gobbles up memory and always grinds to a halt. Its that simple. Go >>> and actually try it. >> >> LOL. If it is crap, it's not my problem. I don't use the a: drive >> anymore (just under MS-DOS and Linux) so I don't have 'this problem. >> >> My Win 98 never crashes, unless I do something that is known to make >> it crash. (call me lucky). > > My 98 starts to misbehave almost every time when I empty the trash. > Any clues?
That's one of the problems I described in one of my other posts. Deleting large numbers of files jaunts it into outer space. Why? Fuck Knows!!! I do know that I have never had that occur with XP. Kevin Aylward salesEXTRACT@anasoft.co.uk http://www.anasoft.co.uk SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design. "quotes with no meaning, are meaningless" - Kevin Aylward.
Boris Mohar posted in sci.electronics.cad , in article
<mpd950po6rcd95q9gb1nhelvn5fi7v9t8m@4ax.com>, at Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:51:40 -
0500:

> My 98 starts to misbehave almost every time when I empty the trash. Any > clues?
I don't use the Recycle Bin at all. I use DELTREE and DEL on a MS-DOS prompt. Or better yet, don't use Explorer, get LiteStep and 2xExplorer. -- Chaos Master&#4294967295; - Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil irc.brasnet.org - #xlinuxnews and #poa marreka.no-ip.com (ainda n&#4294967295;o pronto) LRU #327480