ANN: new Pulsonix version 3 PCB software released

Started by Leon Heller March 12, 2004
No B.O. n&#4294967295;mero <4055b144$0$2797$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, de Mon, 15 Mar 2004
08:36:03 -0500, consta que Chuck Harris escreveu no sci.electronics.cad :

> Linux runs just fine for all my wordprocessing, spreadsheets, > presentation programs, math analyzers, PCB layout tools, Spice > simulations, gerber viewers, web browsers, email, CD players and > burners, DVD players, document scanners, printers, networking, midi > composers and players, web authoring, web hosting, the list is > endless... AND ALL OF IT IS FREE!
But some things that I use aren't supported: mainly webcam/voice chatting via MSN or YM and P2P programs (I won't consider using Wine as this is cheating). Otherwise it is good. -- Chaos Master&#4294967295; - Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil irc.brasnet.org - #xlinuxnews and #poa marreka.no-ip.com (ainda n&#4294967295;o pronto) LRU #327480
"Meindert Sprang" <mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl> wrote in message news:<40544519$1@news.nb.nu>...
> "Jerry Avins" <jya@ieee.org> wrote in message > news:40541909$0$2791$61fed72c@news.rcn.com... > > > Windows 95 and 98 let you control the serial and parallel ports without > > hassle. Many programs that do physical I/O won't run on NT derivatives. > > The serial ports are completely accessible at register level in NT and 2000. > For the parallel port are numerous drivers available that, once installed, > allow any program to access the parallel port at register level.
Actually they're not. For *DOS* applications, a virtual device driver provides the appearance of direct access. In short, what happens is the application issues an I/O instruction, when generates a protection fault. The VDD will have registered itself as a handler for some range of ports (for example 3f8-3ff for COM1), and it gets a message that an application has issued a byte/word/dword in/out to port 0xABCD, along with the contents of the registers. The VDD fakes the operation, updates the registers, returns, and the application is (more-or-less) none the wiser. But, as you mentioned, there are drives (for example giveio.sys), which will allow direct access, although they're certainly not there by default.
Hi CM,

You need to look a little harder.  There have been video phone
applications and P2P programs available for linux for several years
now.  I can't say that they work with with MSN, though.

-Chuck Harris

Chaos Master <wizard_of_yendorIHATESPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<c35nhc$24hm45$7@ID-88878.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> No B.O. n&#4294967295;mero <4055b144$0$2797$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, de Mon, 15 Mar 2004 > 08:36:03 -0500, consta que Chuck Harris escreveu no sci.electronics.cad : > > > Linux runs just fine for all my wordprocessing, spreadsheets, > > presentation programs, math analyzers, PCB layout tools, Spice > > simulations, gerber viewers, web browsers, email, CD players and > > burners, DVD players, document scanners, printers, networking, midi > > composers and players, web authoring, web hosting, the list is > > endless... AND ALL OF IT IS FREE! > > But some things that I use aren't supported: mainly webcam/voice chatting via > MSN or YM and P2P programs (I won't consider using Wine as this is cheating). > > Otherwise it is good.
Regarding P2P, there is a good version of eMule under Linux. It is call aMule, connects to ed2k network, shares with other eMule users and performs quite well. Try it.
> > The serial ports are completely accessible at register level in NT and
2000.
> > For the parallel port are numerous drivers available that, once
installed,
> > allow any program to access the parallel port at register level. > > Actually they're not. For *DOS* applications, a virtual device driver > provides the appearance of direct access.
I know. But in the end, for the DOS application it looks as if the ports are there. Meindert
Chaos Master <wizard_of_yendorIHATESPAM@hotmail.com> says...

>But some things that I use aren't supported: mainly webcam/voice chatting via >MSN or YM and P2P programs (I won't consider using Wine as this is cheating).
Why won't you consider using Wine? Or, better yet, a real copy of Windows running under VMWare? -- Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/
No B.O. n&#4294967295;mero <5517e6ce.0403152319.3d5d519c@posting.google.com>, de 15 Mar 2004
23:19:09 -0800, consta que francesco escreveu no sci.electronics.cad :

> Regarding P2P, there is a good version of eMule under Linux. It is > call aMule, connects to ed2k network, shares with other eMule users > and performs quite well. Try it.
eMule has far too much queues and is better for software (but I don't need WaReZ under Linux!). I like Kazaa better for .mp3 . -- Chaos Master&#4294967295; - Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil irc.brasnet.org - #xlinuxnews and #poa marreka.no-ip.com (ainda n&#4294967295;o pronto) LRU #327480
"Guy Macon" <http://www.guymacon.com> wrote in message
> > Chaos Master <wizard_of_yendorIHATESPAM@hotmail.com> says... > > >But some things that I use aren't supported: mainly webcam/voice chatting
via
> >MSN or YM and P2P programs (I won't consider using Wine as this is
cheating).
> > Why won't you consider using Wine? > > Or, better yet, a real copy of Windows running under VMWare? > > > -- > Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. > Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you > have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like > Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/ >
I used Win4Lin for a while, it didn't do Win2K but it did Win98 just fine. Some Win98 tasks actually seem to run better IMHO. It's a lot cheaper than VMWare which also works quite well and supports more Guest OS's. These days I use Virtual PC running Linux on top of XP and that works well. I do remember a post by Lewin some time back regarding some serious hacking he had to do to fix his Virtual PC partition. So far it's been working ok for me.

Memfault Beyond the Launch