Nice IDE for ARM?

Started by Guy Fawkes August 27, 2006
Hi,

Are there any (preferably free and/or open-source) IDE's for the ARM
processor similar to AVRStudio, for example?

Guy

--

Guy Fawkes wrote:
It's not free, but Rowley Crossworks for ARM (based on the gcc compiler) has a very nice IDE which includes a debugger and simulator. Leon
if you want a free IDE the Eclipse + openOCD is a working solution.
http://gnuarm.alexthegeek.com/ARM_Cross_Development_With_Eclipse_Components_Revision3_March_17_2006.zip

..richard

Guy Fawkes wrote:
"Leon" <leon.heller@bulldoghome.com> wrote in message
> > Guy Fawkes wrote: >> Hi, >> >> Are there any (preferably free and/or open-source) IDE's for the ARM >> processor similar to AVRStudio, for example? >> >> Guy >> >> >> >> -- >> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com > > It's not free, but Rowley Crossworks for ARM (based on the gcc > compiler) has a very nice IDE which includes a debugger and simulator. > > Leon >
Microcross Visual X-Tools is also based on gcc and is much better than the Rowley tools. -- Scott Validated Software Corp.
Not Really Me wrote:

> Microcross Visual X-Tools is also based on gcc and is much better than the > Rowley tools.
Do they have a visual debugger for embedded devices?
Not Really Me wrote:
> "Leon" <leon.heller@bulldoghome.com> wrote in message > news:1156690301.377327.153470@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > > > > Guy Fawkes wrote: > >> Hi, > >> > >> Are there any (preferably free and/or open-source) IDE's for the ARM > >> processor similar to AVRStudio, for example? > >> > >> Guy > >> > >> > >> > >> -- > >> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com > > > > It's not free, but Rowley Crossworks for ARM (based on the gcc > > compiler) has a very nice IDE which includes a debugger and simulator. > > > > Leon > > > Microcross Visual X-Tools is also based on gcc and is much better than the > Rowley tools.
The Rowley debugger is much better than GDB, which Microcross uses. Leon
> > Not Really Me wrote: >> "Leon" <leon.heller@bulldoghome.com> wrote in message >> news:1156690301.377327.153470@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... >> > >> > Guy Fawkes wrote: >> >> Hi, >> >> >> >> Are there any (preferably free and/or open-source) IDE's for the ARM >> >> processor similar to AVRStudio, for example? >> >> >> >> Guy >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> -- >> >> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com >> > >> > It's not free, but Rowley Crossworks for ARM (based on the gcc >> > compiler) has a very nice IDE which includes a debugger and simulator. >> > >> > Leon >> > >> Microcross Visual X-Tools is also based on gcc and is much better than >> the >> Rowley tools. > > The Rowley debugger is much better than GDB, which Microcross uses. > > Leon >
I think you are correct, it uses GDB, but our experience differs from yours. We found the Rowley debugger to be just awful. It was buggy and locked up the PC repeatedly. The only recovery was a reboot. I believe it is still the current version. It was only a few months ago that we used it. The Microcross implementation is much more stable. We have used it with both Multi-Ice and Abatron JTAG emulators. Scott
Not Really Me wrote:
> "Leon" <leon.heller@bulldoghome.com> wrote in message > news:1156845994.030620.153060@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > > > > Not Really Me wrote: > >> "Leon" <leon.heller@bulldoghome.com> wrote in message > >> news:1156690301.377327.153470@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > >> > > >> > Guy Fawkes wrote: > >> >> Hi, > >> >> > >> >> Are there any (preferably free and/or open-source) IDE's for the ARM > >> >> processor similar to AVRStudio, for example? > >> >> > >> >> Guy > >> >> > >> >> > >> >> > >> >> -- > >> >> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com > >> > > >> > It's not free, but Rowley Crossworks for ARM (based on the gcc > >> > compiler) has a very nice IDE which includes a debugger and simulator. > >> > > >> > Leon > >> > > >> Microcross Visual X-Tools is also based on gcc and is much better than > >> the > >> Rowley tools. > > > > The Rowley debugger is much better than GDB, which Microcross uses. > > > > Leon > > > I think you are correct, it uses GDB, but our experience differs from yours. > We found the Rowley debugger to be just awful. It was buggy and locked up > the PC repeatedly. The only recovery was a reboot. I believe it is still > the current version. It was only a few months ago that we used it. > > The Microcross implementation is much more stable. We have used it with > both Multi-Ice and Abatron JTAG emulators.
I don't have any problems with the Rowley debugger. Leon
> We found the Rowley debugger to be just awful. It was buggy and locked up > the PC repeatedly. The only recovery was a reboot.
Did you use the Rowley USB JTAG device? I've used a lot of USB JTAG devices for various chip families, and the whole class of devices seems to have "issues". I have to reconnect the USB cable way too many times - life shouldn't be this bad. Part of the problem is the Windows drivers, and part of the problem is the limited ability of the programmable logic chips to discover problems and re-syncronize. It seems to me that we should have all data sent over the USB in frames and protected by a checksum or CRC. Then the JTAG device and the PC could detect and correct problems, and even re-syncronize without manual efforts required by users (us). However, I don't have any experience with the Rowley USB device. I seem to recall from memory that it might use an lpc214x device, and that would seem like a good idea. It would be great if they let you burn new firmware into the device as they make tweaks over time. This would help to mitigate some of the problems I've seen with the simpler designs. Eric
"Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> We found the Rowley debugger to be just awful. It was buggy and >> locked up >> the PC repeatedly. The only recovery was a reboot. > > Did you use the Rowley USB JTAG device? I've used a lot of USB JTAG > devices for various chip families, and the whole class of devices > seems > to have "issues". I have to reconnect the USB cable way too many times > - life shouldn't be this bad.
I've used the Rowley CrossConnect JTAG device and it has never caused the PC any problems. On some occasions, if there is a major problem on the target then the CrossConnect can fail to recover from the error and needs to be reconnected. Very rarely I had to restart the IDE as well. I've never seen the PC lock up from it though and the worst that has happened is that the IDE crashes itself.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference