Nice IDE for ARM?

Started by Guy Fawkes August 27, 2006
Eric wrote:
> > We found the Rowley debugger to be just awful. It was buggy and locked up > > the PC repeatedly. The only recovery was a reboot. > > Did you use the Rowley USB JTAG device? I've used a lot of USB JTAG > devices for various chip families, and the whole class of devices seems > to have "issues". I have to reconnect the USB cable way too many times > - life shouldn't be this bad. > > Part of the problem is the Windows drivers, and part of the problem is > the limited ability of the programmable logic chips to discover > problems and re-syncronize. It seems to me that we should have all data > sent over the USB in frames and protected by a checksum or CRC. Then > the JTAG device and the PC could detect and correct problems, and even > re-syncronize without manual efforts required by users (us). > > However, I don't have any experience with the Rowley USB device. I seem > to recall from memory that it might use an lpc214x device, and that > would seem like a good idea. It would be great if they let you burn new > firmware into the device as they make tweaks over time. This would help > to mitigate some of the problems I've seen with the simpler designs.
I've got the Rowley device, it works very well. It probably uses a Cypress chip or something similar, that's all that is needed for JTAG. Leon
"Leon" <leon.heller@bulldoghome.com> wrote in message
> >> However, I don't have any experience with the Rowley USB device. I seem >> to recall from memory that it might use an lpc214x device, and that >> would seem like a good idea. It would be great if they let you burn new >> firmware into the device as they make tweaks over time. This would help >> to mitigate some of the problems I've seen with the simpler designs. > > I've got the Rowley device, it works very well. It probably uses a > Cypress chip or something similar, that's all that is needed for JTAG.
Our current CrossConnect uses an LPC2106. Our Embedded CrossConnect and a new prototype CrossConnect uses LPC214x. We are looking at the STR9 as a candidate also, but performance of ARM9-based STR9 at 96MHz is lower than the ARM7-based 60MHz LPC2000 in general use. -- Paul.
Guy Fawkes wrote:
Try Nucleus EDGE eclipse based IDE
Tick wrote:

http://www.mentor.com/company/news/ati_edge_eclipse3.cfm : states Pricing and Availability Licenses for the complete Nucleus EDGE development suite begin at U.S. $3,000 per seat. The OP asked (preferably free and/or open-source). I guess sales buys will try anything.