NXP-- WTF?

Started by Spehro Pefhany September 1, 2006

According to the news over here, they want to focus on parts that end up in consumer electronics. This means loads of jellybean parts and less high-end parts. -- Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.) Bedrijven en winkels vindt U op www.adresboekje.nl
In comp.arch.embedded Nico Coesel <nico@puntnl.niks> wrote:

> According to the news over here, they want to focus on parts that end > up in consumer electronics. This means loads of jellybean parts and > less high-end parts.
That may be a misconception. Consumer electronics is undergoing massive changes. The equivalent of a plain vanilla VCR these days is a hard-disk-backed DVD recorder. It has more processing capacity than most typical embedded systems --- and that's before you add HDTV, and all the crazy copy-protection schemes that come with it, to the mix -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain.
In message <x9AKg.5124$tU.5072@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, dated Sun, 3
Sep 2006, mw <mw@avoidspam.com> writes
>> The requirement for acronyms to be pronounceable is contentious. The >>classic self-referencing acronym TLA (three-letter acronym) is not. > >Of course "tla" is pronounceable! ...it's the first syllable in Tlaxcala : > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlaxcala > >Pronounced &lsaquo;tlah SKAH lah&rsaquo; >
So NXP is pronounce Nah-Sp? What about WTF? (;-) -- OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try www.jmwa.demon.co.uk and www.isce.org.uk 2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely. John Woodgate, J M Woodgate and Associates, Rayleigh, Essex UK
On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 03:12:24 GMT, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Joerg wrote: >> >> I could almost bet they won't listen. I tried that years ago. Wrote to >> the big chief, didn't even get as much as a form letter back. So I just >> dumped them during designs, mostly. IMHO the problem behind a lack of >> profitability in a large company is often management itself. >> >> They would be well advised to sit down and figure out what had gone >> wrong the last 1-2 decades. Look at key competitors. Or to say it >> bluntly, figure out why TI is a lot more profitable than Philips was. >> That's what needs to be done now. With some luck they may have the >> freedom to change things since Philips only has a minority stake left. > > > Joerg, its a sure sign they aren't going to listen, or the "Comment" >button wouldn't have been so obvious. Its to make the new investors all >warm and fuzzy inside. The only chance of any change is if the >investors are the first to see any comments.
I saw their ad on a financial website (bigcharts.marketwatch.com), not a technical site. It's in their info that 70% of NXP's business is concentrated among only 50 or so direct customers, and the remaining 30% is split between 30,000-odd customers through distribution. So if you're not in the gang-of-50, presumably you may be lost in the noise at times as far as priorities go. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On Sunday, in article <44facf9d.864104376@news.kpnplanet.nl>
     nico@puntnl.niks "Nico Coesel" wrote:

>Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote: > >> >>Okay, so Philips has spun off their semiconductor division (apparently >>as a whole, unlike Motorola's bifurcated spinoff) into something >>called NXP, with a glitzy campaign now underway. >> >>If you like some neutral-accented dude named "Steve" who needs his >>hair combed and movies of people leaping around surging ribbons of >>somewhat sickly colors: http://www.what-if-you-could.com/ (and links >>to hi-res photos of beaming executives) >> >>Or their real website: http://www.nxp.com/index.html >> >>Any thoughts as to what this means to the future of Philips >>semiconductors, and to their high-end microcontrollers in particular? >> >>I'm guessing we might see less emphasis on the low margin parts like >>jellybean discretes. > >According to the news over here, they want to focus on parts that end >up in consumer electronics. This means loads of jellybean parts and >less high-end parts.
What that will likely mean is the jellybean parts will either die or spun off as another company. The company will then concentrate on high end high integration parts like set top boxes, deal with 10 companies globally and as an afterthought distribution. When one or two of the large companies catches a cold or switches to another company they will bring down NXP. Anyone remember Brooktree or even if Connexant actually ship any of their parts after 1 year of takeover that was not a broadband/comms chip? -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk <http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 & mailing list info <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate
"Spehro Pefhany" <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> schreef in bericht
> On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 03:12:24 GMT, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell" > <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: > >>Joerg wrote: >>> >>> I could almost bet they won't listen. I tried that years ago. Wrote to >>> the big chief, didn't even get as much as a form letter back. So I just >>> dumped them during designs, mostly. IMHO the problem behind a lack of >>> profitability in a large company is often management itself. >>> >>> They would be well advised to sit down and figure out what had gone >>> wrong the last 1-2 decades. Look at key competitors. Or to say it >>> bluntly, figure out why TI is a lot more profitable than Philips was. >>> That's what needs to be done now. With some luck they may have the >>> freedom to change things since Philips only has a minority stake left. >> >> >> Joerg, its a sure sign they aren't going to listen, or the "Comment" >>button wouldn't have been so obvious. Its to make the new investors all >>warm and fuzzy inside. The only chance of any change is if the >>investors are the first to see any comments. > > I saw their ad on a financial website (bigcharts.marketwatch.com), not > a technical site. > > It's in their info that 70% of NXP's business is concentrated among > only 50 or so direct customers, and the remaining 30% is split between > 30,000-odd customers through distribution. So if you're not in the > gang-of-50, presumably you may be lost in the noise at times as far as > priorities go.
I could imagine that if you are among those 50, you probably don't even use that website. -- Thanks, Frank. (remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 16:16:26 +0200, the renowned "Frank Bemelman"
<f.bemelmanq@xs4all.invalid.nl> wrote:

>"Spehro Pefhany" <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> schreef in bericht >news:ikklf2dsieeble7qmorv4d8nne1t14ejce@4ax.com... >> On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 03:12:24 GMT, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell" >> <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: >> >>>Joerg wrote: >>>> >>>> I could almost bet they won't listen. I tried that years ago. Wrote to >>>> the big chief, didn't even get as much as a form letter back. So I just >>>> dumped them during designs, mostly. IMHO the problem behind a lack of >>>> profitability in a large company is often management itself. >>>> >>>> They would be well advised to sit down and figure out what had gone >>>> wrong the last 1-2 decades. Look at key competitors. Or to say it >>>> bluntly, figure out why TI is a lot more profitable than Philips was. >>>> That's what needs to be done now. With some luck they may have the >>>> freedom to change things since Philips only has a minority stake left. >>> >>> >>> Joerg, its a sure sign they aren't going to listen, or the "Comment" >>>button wouldn't have been so obvious. Its to make the new investors all >>>warm and fuzzy inside. The only chance of any change is if the >>>investors are the first to see any comments. >> >> I saw their ad on a financial website (bigcharts.marketwatch.com), not >> a technical site. >> >> It's in their info that 70% of NXP's business is concentrated among >> only 50 or so direct customers, and the remaining 30% is split between >> 30,000-odd customers through distribution. So if you're not in the >> gang-of-50, presumably you may be lost in the noise at times as far as >> priorities go. > >I could imagine that if you are among those 50, you probably don't >even use that website.
At an average of $70M+ per big customer per year, they could afford to dedicate scores of employees full-time for each one. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com

Just say the words: "World Trade Federation", or if you're trash-talking: "Waste Treatment Facility". Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 16:16:26 +0200, the renowned "Frank Bemelman" > <f.bemelmanq@xs4all.invalid.nl> wrote: > >>"Spehro Pefhany" <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> schreef in bericht >>news:ikklf2dsieeble7qmorv4d8nne1t14ejce@4ax.com... >>> On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 03:12:24 GMT, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell" >>> <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: >>> >>>>Joerg wrote: >>>>> >>>>> I could almost bet they won't listen. I tried that years ago. Wrote to >>>>> the big chief, didn't even get as much as a form letter back. So I >>>>> just >>>>> dumped them during designs, mostly. IMHO the problem behind a lack of >>>>> profitability in a large company is often management itself. >>>>> >>>>> They would be well advised to sit down and figure out what had gone >>>>> wrong the last 1-2 decades. Look at key competitors. Or to say it >>>>> bluntly, figure out why TI is a lot more profitable than Philips was. >>>>> That's what needs to be done now. With some luck they may have the >>>>> freedom to change things since Philips only has a minority stake left. >>>> >>>> >>>> Joerg, its a sure sign they aren't going to listen, or the "Comment" >>>>button wouldn't have been so obvious. Its to make the new investors all >>>>warm and fuzzy inside. The only chance of any change is if the >>>>investors are the first to see any comments. >>> >>> I saw their ad on a financial website (bigcharts.marketwatch.com), not >>> a technical site. >>> >>> It's in their info that 70% of NXP's business is concentrated among >>> only 50 or so direct customers, and the remaining 30% is split between >>> 30,000-odd customers through distribution. So if you're not in the >>> gang-of-50, presumably you may be lost in the noise at times as far as >>> priorities go. >> >>I could imagine that if you are among those 50, you probably don't >>even use that website. > > At an average of $70M+ per big customer per year, they could afford to > dedicate scores of employees full-time for each one.
Exactly, the big customers dictate exactly what they want, not just pick from what happens to be available. Oh, and sometimes they sell a few tubes or perhaps an entire reel to poor buggers like me ;) -- Thanks, Frank. (remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
"John Woodgate" <jmw@jmwa.demon.co.uk> skrev i meddelandet
> In message <1157113426.340813.142720@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, dated > Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Eric <englere_geo@yahoo.com> writes > >>1) Why didn't they pick a name instead of an acronym? > > It ISN'T an acronym, juts a Cabalistic symbol, because an acronym must be > pronounceable, but it might be 'Now eX Philips'. > > --
I think the origin is the "NeXPeria" chips for DVD Recorders -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB