powering a LED through the human skin

Started by Lyn October 13, 2006
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:51:03 -0500, amdx wrote:
> "Ren&#4294967295;" <rjz~REMOVE~@xs4all.nl> wrote in message >> >> I now understand the purpose of "Organic Leds"... >> >> Just a matter of time before all mankind will be fitted with >> standardized audio / video inputs. >> >> The rear base of the scull seems a good place... >> > I'm waiting for the TV screen on the backside of my eyelids.
Hell, just drill a hole in the back of your skull and plug right into your occipital lobe! ;-) Cheers! RIch
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:45:44 -0700, Lyn top-posted:

> Peter, > Thank you. > Some good points. > Many artists wear silver body paint, so non toxic. Well it might look > daft, but people have tatoos as art, so that is a matter of opinion.
Hey, there you go! Just use conductive ink, and tattoo wires onto your skin! Good Luck! Rich (BTW, we snip and bottom-post, usually.)
It has been done by electromagnetic coupling - better than paint. -- Dave (from the UK) Please note my email address changes periodically to avoid spam. It is always of the form: month-year@southminster-branch-line.org.uk Hitting reply will work for a few months only - later set it manually. http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)
"Mr. Radio" wrote:
> > There's always your "favorite" DVDS but then - well we won't go where they'd > have to mount those......
It would give a whole new meaning to "Go pound sand", wouldn't it? ;-) -- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85. Michael A. Terrell Central Florida
Gosh, but I'm a lady,  as my photo link in my original post indicates
and never had a tatoo....yet ;-)

But I could - for the benefit of science!

Does it hurt?

Lyn

Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:45:44 -0700, Lyn top-posted: > > > Peter, > > Thank you. > > Some good points. > > Many artists wear silver body paint, so non toxic. Well it might look > > daft, but people have tatoos as art, so that is a matter of opinion. > > Hey, there you go! Just use conductive ink, and tattoo wires onto your > skin! > > Good Luck! > Rich > > (BTW, we snip and bottom-post, usually.) > > > > > I'm only passing 1-2mA through skin at present, but your issue on possible > > skin damage may be valid. > > > > Re " try integrating a wiring system into clothing?" Because its too easy > > and already been done. Also not all the body is clothed, e.g. arms, face, > > neck etc. > > > > > > Lyn > > > > > > Peter wrote: > >> "Lyn" <sensecam@gmail.com> wrote in message > >> news:1160729736.647699.58080@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > >> > > >> > I am trying to solve a problem of having wires going up to an MP3 > >> > player to the earpiece. I also didn't want the weight of batteries, > >> > e.g. via a Bluetooth or other wireless head set. I did an experiment > >> > where I used conductive paint to mark out some tracks on my skin to > >> > replace wires. The conductive paint is very flexible (I put it on my > >> > hand which flexed a lot ) and there seemed to be enough current to > >> > drive a LED throught my hand. > >> > Image here: > >> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sensecam/267793137/ > >> > > >> > Might be useful applications like powering ear pieces, military apps, > >> > body sensors, health monitoring, jewels, art etc. I'm only doing > >> > experiments with AM analog signals at present, not digital but may in > >> > future. > >> > I also did some experiments with powering a crystal earpiece throught > >> > the skin (no conductive paint, just skin resistance) My question is, > >> > has this been done before (i.e .power not just signals) ? (I know > >> > about the IBM Zimmerman expt ). It's seems obvious but a google > >> > search reveals nothing. > >> > > >> > > >> > Lyn > >> > > >> Its a nice idea but full of problems. Skin painting is probably a bad > >> idea from the toxicity of the solvents and heavy metals involved. Also > >> if you have any significant power then the flexing will eventually make > >> a high resistance somewhere and that will give you a burn. Not to > >> mention it would make you look stupid. Why don't you try integrating a > >> wiring system into clothing? > >> > >> Peter
larwe wrote:
> John O'Flaherty wrote: > > > You may as well go whole hog then, and imbed LEDs under the skin, > > connected by the subcutaneous wires you already have in place. Can you > > imagine what some people might pay for a tattoo that lights up? Or > > I'm thinking there must be a way to do this with bioluminescent dyes.
UV LEDs are getting reasonably priced. How about something like a funny earring that holds a UV LED, then make your mark on the body with UV sensitive paint. Shoulder should be easy targets. You can put the UV leds in a belt, then do art on the stomach or back.
Lyn wrote:

> Thank you, these are all constructive replies. > > Newreaders may well like an almost invisible auto prompt. > Children love face paint. > Invisible ink sounds good. > BTW the silver paint wore off me after about 12 hours, not mutilation! > :-) > > I used silver paint with resistance 0.02 to 0.05 ohms/sq/mil. > www.rswww.com > > > Might be useful for medical electronics where people who have a few > heart electrodes wired on them 24/7. It might be more comfortable than > wires everywhere. > > > > Lyn
If you could afford a bucketfull of the stuff then you could make yourself taser-proof. On the other hand, the paint fumes would probably be fairly incapacitating by themselves. Chris
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Mr. Radio" wrote: >> >> There's always your "favorite" DVDS but then - well we won't go where >> they'd >> have to mount those...... > > > It would give a whole new meaning to "Go pound sand", wouldn't it? > ;-) > > > -- > Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to > prove it. > Member of DAV #85. > > Michael A. Terrell > Central Florida
You got it! :)
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:52:28 -0700, Lyn wrote:

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:52:28 -0700, Lyn top-posted:
> > Gosh, but I'm a lady, as my photo link in my original post indicates and > never had a tatoo....yet ;-) > > But I could - for the benefit of science! > > Does it hurt? >
OK- caught me - I didn't even look at the page. Now I have, and that paint is hideous! And no, I do NOT recommend tattos, for a couple of reasons - first, I think it's a form of self-mutilation, which I find abhorrent, and also, from what I've heard, yes, they're terribly painful - just like having an ink-laden needle puncturing your skin about 10 times a second. ("just like", hell, it _IS_ an ink-laden needle puncturing your skin 10 times a second!) Good Luck! Rich [and please learn to bottom-post. As you can see, top-posting breaks the natural flow of the conversation.]
> > Thanks for the patent reminder, I posted here as i'm not planning on > patenting it, I'm doing it just for fun & research. > My last patent on this same subject covered most of the idea: > > http://tinyurl.com/2vgx6
Hmm. Keith Relf's later work might constitute prior art.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference