Microcontroller with 7V supply and I/O tolerance ?

Started by David October 22, 2004
"David" <mangled_us@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Since I/O is beteen 4 and 7 volts, why do you not connect the GND of the > > Micro to 4 Volts. > > Most CPUs will handle that. > > Hi Ulf, thanks for responding. > > I take it from your answer that Atmel don't have such a chip in their > armoury ? I'm interested to hear from a chip mfr what the reasons > behind this might be ? Of course I understand that CPU performance is > all optimised for certain voltages and that device densities would > suffer. But still... a device with a higher supply and I/O voltage > tolerance must surely have many applications ? Anything that runs of > batteries would be easier to design, for instance. So how about > persuading the chaps back at base for us ? :-)
No, as others have mentioned, the cost makes the device unattractive. To handle 7 Volt inside a transistor, you have to use processes which are (today) totally unsuitable cost wise Battery operated equipment is moving in the other direction to conserve power. Remember: P = C * U^2 So reduction off voltage is the most important factor in battery management. You can use an regulator to reduce the voltage from a high voltage device. You do not need to use the high voltage for I/O.
> > Regards, > > David
-- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
> Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that > can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ?
Microchip produces "HV" variants (high voltage) of some of their PIC chips. IIRC they work at up to 14V, but at least they are good to run off 9V batteries.
> Of course I could regulate the supply but then I would also need to > opto-isolate all the I/O which is not viable.
If you IO doesnt exceed 7V, you dont necessarily have to optoisolate. The 74VHC family can be used as cheap levelconverter. Marc
"Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net> schrubbelte:

>So, if you had actually used Google
...which I actually did -- but thanks anyway. -peter --
There are some, but not many. Highest IO spec I've seen is 100V and 300V on VERSA HV100, HV300 see http://www.goalasic.com/productguide.html Also Fairchild make uC with 12V regulators, and IIRC Microchip did an OTP one. SiLabs hae parts with +/-60V Analog IP pins. Atmel's MARC4 family is specified to 6.5V Vcc [operate] So higher voltage can clearly be done, but normally the CPU Core is not designed for high voltage operation, as it is more power efficent to regulate the core power, but maybe offer higher IO voltages. STm and Motorola have CMOS+Power FAB processes, that can integrate uC + PowerMOSFETS for high volume users. Anything over 5.5V these days is unusual, but maybe someone will join Goal in offering a "CPU + ULN2003" in one package ? -jg
> > Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that > > can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ? > > Microchip produces "HV" variants (high voltage) of some of their PIC > chips. IIRC they work at up to 14V, but at least they are good to > run off 9V batteries. > > > Of course I could regulate the supply but then I would also need to > > opto-isolate all the I/O which is not viable. > > If you IO doesnt exceed 7V, you dont necessarily have to optoisolate. > The 74VHC family can be used as cheap levelconverter. > > Marc
Thanks to Marc and all who responded. I will investigate the Goal & Microchip parts and other suggestions re level shifting and regulation. Thanks again, David
mangled_us@yahoo.com (David) writes:
> Queestion as topic : does anyone here know of a microcontroller that > can operate with supply and I/O between 4 and 7 volts ?
Microchip PIC16HV family.

Memfault Beyond the Launch