Today, I had the misfortune

Started by PeteS November 14, 2006
Haude Daniel wrote:
> In article <Jx87h.3811$yE6.25@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, Joerg wrote: > >> Somehow that does not surprise me with this company. The sad part is >> that it was Philips that brought me into electronics. My parents got me >> an EE20 experimenters kit for Christmas when I was a kid. While in >> Europe their semi part were made and distributed by Valvo in Hamburg. >> They became part of Philips and the support was absolutely top notch. >> Back then I would not have dreamed that this could deteriorate so far >> and so fast. >> >> Same with Siemens BTW. After it became Infineon it went downhill IMHO, >> and fast. >> >> Plenty of examples how to do it right: Analog Devices, National, TI, and >> on and on. Hey Europe: Wake up! > > Amen! > >> Yep. But they fail to realize that today's small players are tomorrow's >> big guys. > > Yes! > >> The other thing they fail to see is that consultants often >> design complete mass products. > > Yes! > > I just got off the phone with a very nice guy at NXP. Actually it was very > hard to get him /on/ the phone in the first place. All I need are some > jellybean parts that are sold only by the 3000pc-reel by European > distributors. So I wanted some samples. As I'm working at the University in > Hamburg, the first number I tried was the Hamburg sales office. Tried 5 > times and never even got a ringtone. Next was Frankfurt. Got someone on the > phone, but whenever she tried to get me through to someone we were > disconnected (I tried this 3 times, each time got a different switchboard > person who failed in the same manner). OK, Munich. Very friendly people > told me that the person in charge for people "like me" (academics) was on > vacation but back next week. > > So I talked to him. He's going to get me samples, no problem. I asked him > why the standard distributors aren't carrying these parts in small > quantity, and why getting sample was so hard. Boy did I open up a can of > worms. Essentially he told me all that you wrote in this post, including > naming American mfgrs that are doing it the right way. I asked him how NXP > expected to get designed-in when it was so hard to get your hand on their > products. He said he didn't know. I asked him to maybe raise the point with > someone in charge. He said he'd long stopped doing that. I said that the > people making $$$ purchase decisions were at one point little engineers, > scientists or hobbyists. He said he knew. Since we had agreed on pretty > much everything it seemed we might as well end the conversation, which we > did. > >> If they don't support them then their >> parts will never make it in. Once a design decision has been made it's >> done and done. Next to impossible to get in after the ECO. I've had >> sales guys close to bursting into tears after they found that out the >> hard way. > > I'd love seeing that happen to someone at NXP or INfineon. > >> If they can't even figure that out they should at least sell through >> Digikey. But for large ranges of EU semiconductors that's not happening. >> Hence no design-wins. > > The stuff that I want is actually in stock at DigiKey. Nothing exotic. But > ordering at DK from a German government office is a big hassle because they > don't have a German sales office. The easiest method is going through my > private credit card and getting reimbursed after a lot of red-taping. > Besides, DK is generally more expensive than European distributors so it > doesn't make sense to place a large order which, among some DK-only parts, > contains stuff that could have been purchased locally. > >>>>> I made a final decision today to not bother looking for their parts any >>>>> more - there's nothing they have I can't get elsewhere, > > Well, I always wanted to try out their BF862 and the PMBFJ620 dual (hoping > to replace those expensive TO78 parts). The 620's datasheet is complete > crap of course. Just a few "typical values" curves that look like someone > had jotted them down in a few seconds using log-log paper and a ruler. And > nothing, not even a hint, as to what kind of matching I might expect. But > cheap (if you want a 3000 reel). > >> I remember when Jan Timmer slammed the pulpit. He really had a fit about >> the financials. I wrote to him with some ideas and so did others but he >> didn't listen. > > I can give you the extension of someone in Munich who is good at listening > ;-) > > --Daniel
Great Rant. But when you have designed a product and think it's all over that's not the end - what about those long lead times; let alone the MOQ? It's a nightmare in electronic manufacturing. Regards P
Hello Daniel,

> >>Somehow that does not surprise me with this company. The sad part is >>that it was Philips that brought me into electronics. My parents got me >>an EE20 experimenters kit for Christmas when I was a kid. While in >>Europe their semi part were made and distributed by Valvo in Hamburg. >>They became part of Philips and the support was absolutely top notch. >>Back then I would not have dreamed that this could deteriorate so far >>and so fast. >> >>Same with Siemens BTW. After it became Infineon it went downhill IMHO, >>and fast. >> >>Plenty of examples how to do it right: Analog Devices, National, TI, and >>on and on. Hey Europe: Wake up! > > > Amen! >
Good to hear that from someone who actually lives and engineers in Europe. Many Europeans counter that I am just whining about it but they never sat on this side of the pond trying to get an Infineon part (I won't try that again for a while...).
> >>Yep. But they fail to realize that today's small players are tomorrow's >>big guys. > > > Yes! > > >>The other thing they fail to see is that consultants often >>design complete mass products. > > > Yes! >
I had one rep tell me flat out that they do not send sample to consultants, period. Huh? Even if I pay? Nope. Well, in newsgroup speak I plonked the part and went to the (American) competitor.
> I just got off the phone with a very nice guy at NXP. Actually it was very > hard to get him /on/ the phone in the first place. All I need are some > jellybean parts that are sold only by the 3000pc-reel by European > distributors. So I wanted some samples. As I'm working at the University in > Hamburg, the first number I tried was the Hamburg sales office. ...
What they don't realize is that some day you'll be in industry, making big $ decisions about which parts will be purchased. Back whan I was in academia I must say that Philips (it was still Valvo back then) was one of the best in terms of support. They gave me all the data books and samples I wanted, and pronto. Once I had a meeting with them, I believe at the Burchardstrasse plant in Hamburg. They put me up in a very nice Hotel (Reichshof?). I found friendly and competent people in a well run plant. The result of all this support was that my design-in rate for Philips parts was around 30%. Then the bottom fell out. Now it's, uhm, close to zero. So I was not surprised at all when they threw in the towel and auctioned off their semi biz.
> ... Tried 5 > times and never even got a ringtone. Next was Frankfurt. Got someone on the > phone, but whenever she tried to get me through to someone we were > disconnected (I tried this 3 times, each time got a different switchboard > person who failed in the same manner). OK, Munich. Very friendly people > told me that the person in charge for people "like me" (academics) was on > vacation but back next week. > > So I talked to him. He's going to get me samples, no problem. I asked him > why the standard distributors aren't carrying these parts in small > quantity, and why getting sample was so hard. Boy did I open up a can of > worms. Essentially he told me all that you wrote in this post, including > naming American mfgrs that are doing it the right way. ...
This is sad. I strongly feel that nothing short of a major personnel change at the executive level can truly help companies like that.
> ... I asked him how NXP > expected to get designed-in when it was so hard to get your hand on their > products. He said he didn't know. I asked him to maybe raise the point with > someone in charge. He said he'd long stopped doing that. I said that the > people making $$$ purchase decisions were at one point little engineers, > scientists or hobbyists. He said he knew. Since we had agreed on pretty > much everything it seemed we might as well end the conversation, which we > did. > > >>If they don't support them then their >>parts will never make it in. Once a design decision has been made it's >>done and done. Next to impossible to get in after the ECO. I've had >>sales guys close to bursting into tears after they found that out the >>hard way. > > > I'd love seeing that happen to someone at NXP or INfineon. >
It's not going to. Unless major shareholders wake up and question corporate governance like what currently happens at some US automakers (which have similar problems) nothing is going to change IMHO.
> >>If they can't even figure that out they should at least sell through >>Digikey. But for large ranges of EU semiconductors that's not happening. >>Hence no design-wins. > > > The stuff that I want is actually in stock at DigiKey. Nothing exotic. But > ordering at DK from a German government office is a big hassle because they > don't have a German sales office. The easiest method is going through my > private credit card and getting reimbursed after a lot of red-taping. > Besides, DK is generally more expensive than European distributors so it > doesn't make sense to place a large order which, among some DK-only parts, > contains stuff that could have been purchased locally. > > >>>>>I made a final decision today to not bother looking for their parts any >>>>>more - there's nothing they have I can't get elsewhere, > > > Well, I always wanted to try out their BF862 and the PMBFJ620 dual (hoping > to replace those expensive TO78 parts). The 620's datasheet is complete > crap of course. Just a few "typical values" curves that look like someone > had jotted them down in a few seconds using log-log paper and a ruler. And > nothing, not even a hint, as to what kind of matching I might expect. But > cheap (if you want a 3000 reel). > > >>I remember when Jan Timmer slammed the pulpit. He really had a fit about >>the financials. I wrote to him with some ideas and so did others but he >>didn't listen. > > > I can give you the extension of someone in Munich who is good at listening > ;-) >
But that would only make sense if this person can move and shake things and, most of all, can initiate high-level personnel changes if needed. I have stopped writing to corporate management about lacking marketing efficiency because they don't listen. For me the solution is to move on to their competitors. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
PFJ wrote:

[ ... ]

> > Great Rant. But when you have designed a product and think it's all over > that's not the end - what about those long lead times; let alone the > MOQ? It's a nightmare in electronic manufacturing. >
Old rule around here: If it ain't in stock at Digikey plus several reels at Arrow, it ain't going to be designed in unless there is a very compelling reason why it absolutely has to be this part. Keep them purchasers happy :-) -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
"Joerg" <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message
> PFJ wrote: >> >> Great Rant. But when you have designed a product and think it's all over >> that's not the end - what about those long lead times; let alone the MOQ? >> It's a nightmare in electronic manufacturing. > > Old rule around here: If it ain't in stock at Digikey plus several reels > at Arrow, it ain't going to be designed in unless there is a very > compelling reason why it absolutely has to be this part. > > Keep them purchasers happy :-)
Yes, I have a similar rule (involving Farnell and, at a pinch, RS [1]). Except when I have to break my rule and buy e.g. H8 processors... [1] Mini-rant: RS's online catalogue is b0rked. Compared to Farnell's, it's hopeless. A while back I had the fun of going through my preferred component database to check for, and find alternatives to, non-RoHS parts. With Farnell, it was fairly easy. With RS, it was impossible. (Semis: not so bad, since one can check the manufacturer's site. With passives, forget it.) Gah! Steve http://www.fivetrees.com
Joerg wrote:

> I wonder if Europe still has those 4.5V batteries. Back in them good old > days they were the best deal in terms of Watt-Hours versus Deutschmarks. > But they were also notorious for nasty leaks.
Needed a totch last year while traveling, and bought one that takes these flat batteries. And batteries to go with it. The cheapest set in the shop. The batteries proudly mentioned 'zinc-saline' as their composition. As for the attery with the white cat on it: the brand 'witte kat' went to Varta, and not it seems Varta is getting rid of battery production altogether. But the battery I bought was of a different brand. Thomas

Tim Shoppa wrote:
(snip)
> wowee-kablamoo, 6 inches of solder turned into a bright blue spark ...
(snip)
> Tim.
ROTFLMAO! You reminded me of the surprise that was sprung on me when I brushed the HV inside an oscilloscope. That was in 1969. To this very day I plant my free hand in a pocket ... or, if I'm really-really intimidated, in the back waistband of my trousers. "wowee-kablamoo" Gotta remember that. <G>

Michael wrote:
> Tim Shoppa wrote: > (snip) >> wowee-kablamoo, 6 inches of solder turned into a bright blue spark ... >> (snip) Tim. > > > ROTFLMAO! You reminded me of the surprise that was sprung on me when I > brushed the HV inside an oscilloscope. That was in 1969. To this very > day I plant my free hand in a pocket ... or, if I'm really-really > intimidated, in the back waistband of my trousers. > > "wowee-kablamoo" Gotta remember that. <G>
I was leaning over the front of a 14" monitor to reach the mains socket on the lower back panel. When I plugged in the mains, a spark from the front of the screen shot out hit me in the gonads! When the owner came to pick up his machinery after an upgrade, I complained to him that he should have switched off before bringing it over whereupon he commented that my efforts were rewarded by a curious checksum fault that had magically got fixed. He would normally leave all the kit switched on and kill the mains to his workstation by flicking a master switch. Flicking this on next time with all kit taking a power surge, the computer threw a fault during the POST showing there was a checksum error ! Without the monitor taking start-up power at the same instant, the computer was able to complete its POST without error. -- Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps Change 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:03:14 +0000, Michael wrote:
> Tim Shoppa wrote: > (snip) >> wowee-kablamoo, 6 inches of solder turned into a bright blue spark ... > (snip) > > ROTFLMAO! You reminded me of the surprise that was sprung on me when I brushed > the HV inside an oscilloscope. That was in 1969. To this very day I plant my > free hand in a pocket ... or, if I'm really-really intimidated, in the back > waistband of my trousers. > > "wowee-kablamoo" Gotta remember that. <G>
When I was in 12th grade Physics class, there was a back room, with all kinds of neat stuff, including a 545-type scope, and an old, but operational, TV set, without the case. So, I thought I'd look at the waveform at the plate cap of the Horizontal Output tube, and drew an arc to the scope probe about 1-1/2" long. Of course, being toob-type, all of the equipment survived. :-) Cheers! Rich
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 01:23:27 +0000, Rich Grise wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:03:14 +0000, Michael wrote: >> Tim Shoppa wrote: >> (snip) >>> wowee-kablamoo, 6 inches of solder turned into a bright blue spark ... >> (snip) >> >> ROTFLMAO! You reminded me of the surprise that was sprung on me when I brushed >> the HV inside an oscilloscope. That was in 1969. To this very day I plant my >> free hand in a pocket ... or, if I'm really-really intimidated, in the back >> waistband of my trousers. >> >> "wowee-kablamoo" Gotta remember that. <G> > > When I was in 12th grade Physics class, there was a back room, with all > kinds of neat stuff, including a 545-type scope, and an old, but > operational, TV set, without the case. > > So, I thought I'd look at the waveform at the plate cap of the Horizontal > Output tube, and drew an arc to the scope probe about 1-1/2" long. > > Of course, being toob-type, all of the equipment survived. :-)
All together now: And, of course, being boob-type, Rich survived. ;-D Cheers! Rich