DSP parts with free dev software/cheap dev tools?

Started by Mike Noone December 20, 2006
Data wrote:
> On Dec 20, 9:15 pm, "steve" <bungalow_st...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > if you are using the gyro/accelerometers I think you are using they > > have about 10% accuracy specs out of the box, so that is less then 4 > > bits of meaningful data, floating point math would be overkill, 16 bit > > math would even be overkill, the ARM would be overkill, you don't need > > a floating point DSP, use what you know, the ARM > > 10% total inaccuracy doesn't necessarily mean 4 bits of meaningful > data. It will only mean that if the sensor can't be calibrated,
hence my comment "out of the box"
> Even if they were, floating-point could still be useful -- it accounts > for roundoff error and overflow. It's not best for everything, but the > choice has much more to do with the computation problem than the > sensor.
floating point would be great for development, experimenting with various equations, but not needed in the end product
steve wrote:

> Data wrote: > > On Dec 20, 9:15 pm, "steve" <bungalow_st...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > > > if you are using the gyro/accelerometers I think you are using they > > > have about 10% accuracy specs out of the box, so that is less then 4 > > > bits of meaningful data, floating point math would be overkill, 16 bit > > > math would even be overkill, the ARM would be overkill, you don't need > > > a floating point DSP, use what you know, the ARM > > > > 10% total inaccuracy doesn't necessarily mean 4 bits of meaningful > > data. It will only mean that if the sensor can't be calibrated, > > hence my comment "out of the box"
Then your comment was very silly. Surely he will calibrate the sensor, etc.
> > Even if they were, floating-point could still be useful -- it accounts > > for roundoff error and overflow. It's not best for everything, but the > > choice has much more to do with the computation problem than the > > sensor. > > floating point would be great for development, experimenting with > various equations, but not needed in the end product
And how do you know that? Perhaps the designer himself is the best judge of that. --mpa
Data wrote:
> steve wrote: > > > Data wrote: > > > On Dec 20, 9:15 pm, "steve" <bungalow_st...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > > > > > if you are using the gyro/accelerometers I think you are using they > > > > have about 10% accuracy specs out of the box, so that is less then 4 > > > > bits of meaningful data, floating point math would be overkill, 16 bit > > > > math would even be overkill, the ARM would be overkill, you don't need > > > > a floating point DSP, use what you know, the ARM > > > > > > 10% total inaccuracy doesn't necessarily mean 4 bits of meaningful > > > data. It will only mean that if the sensor can't be calibrated, > > > > hence my comment "out of the box" > > Then your comment was very silly. Surely he will calibrate the sensor, > etc.
ok, maybe I am silly for assuming a student looking for a free DSP toolset doesn't have access to a $100K+ temperature controlled multi axis rate/vib table
cause there is nothing a floating point processor can do that a fixed point can't. Perhaps the designer himself is the best
> judge of that. >
yes I agree, he can use either a fixed point for floating point processor, I didn't say he had to use either, just that floating point was not needed, that he didn't need to restrict himself, it's up to him weight the various tradeoffs of each (learning a new toolset/processor vs dealing with the headaches of fixed point math)
With adsp there is a gcc port for the blackfin family see blackfin.org There is a cheap robotics board on the way - blackfin handy board http://www.cs.uml.edu/blackfin/ as well as the blackfin stamp boards. http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/stamp http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9272421886.html http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS7154844947.html BF533 stamp is no longer made but the BF537 can be purchased from digikey.com http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,BF537%252DSTAMP,00.html search for BF537 stamp at digikey - US$226 For TI if you are at a uni, you may be able to get the tools for free via the university program or buy some hardware and get the free matching tools offer (probably have to spend at least US$400 min). http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/university/univhome.tsp?templateId=5807&navigationId=10538&path=templatedata/cm/univgen/data/univ_ovw Alex Gibson