what is Microcontroller Subject about?

Started by hassanishome March 25, 2007
hassanishome wrote:
> Hi, > I am studying now a subject called 'Microcontroller 8051" > What is the benifits of this subject > I am mastering Computer Eng. > What I can do with this Controller and subject in future?
A rather old processsor family with lots of derivates and tools on the market. Possibly one your teacher grew up with. There are more modern ones though. If as student you ask for the benefit of a subject before having heard about it, you should rather consider studying something else that takes less interest, perhaps accounting and law. Rene
"martin griffith" <mart_in_medina@ya___.es> wrote in message
> On 25 Mar 2007 10:25:49 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded "hassanishome" > <hassanishome@hotmail.com> wrote: > > >Hi, > >I am studying now a subject called 'Microcontroller 8051" > >What is the benifits of this subject > >I am mastering Computer Eng. > >What I can do with this Controller and subject in future? > >Thank you > You can do many things, but I would ask your teacher why you are > learning such a very old product, there are many better ones around, > Atmel AVR, TI MSP430 for example. > > > martin
I guess one reason they still use 8051 as an introduction to the world of micro-controllers is because they are easy to learn (from programming and architecture point of view) and they are not company specific like AVR (made only from Atmel). Some years ago, when I was a student, we've been taught the 8051s and then went on to more sophisticated things like ARM
I thought they were mostly 8048s - even nastier and smaller ;) pete -- pete@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"
> On 2007-03-25, msg <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote: > >> 2. Why do English speakers east of about -50 deg. lon. refer >> to a company in the possessive as plural? E.G. "Hewlett >> Packard have strong tech support" instead of "Hewlett >> Packard has strong tech support". I've seen this as the >> rule and not the exception from the U.K. > > In the US/Canada, the pluralness of the verb matches the > subject _word_. If a collective noun is syntactically singular > (e.g. The Army), then the singular verb is used. In the > UK/Australia/etc. Even if the subject is singular, you use the > plural noun if the subject is a singular collective noun (it > refers to multiple people). > > For example, there's a "Minnestoa Vikings" football team. In > the us you say: > > The Vikings have a good chance to win. ("Vikings" is plural) > Minnesota has a good chance to win. ("Minnesota" is singular) > > In the UK, both would be treated as plural and "have" would be > used. > > That's just the way it is. >
No, it isn't. British English speakers would also say "The Vikings have", and "Minnesota has". In English, the plurality of the verb always matches the subject - it's not just an American thing. There will be the some variations from place to place, but anyone writing "HP have strong tech support" is not writing grammatically correct English. People who get mixed up with their verb pluralities in this way generally do so because of differences in their native language, not the version of English they have learned. It could well be that in some languages, collective nouns (including companies) count as plural in this context. It could also be that their language makes no distinction at all - Scandinavians often make mistakes with "have" and "has", since their languages make no distinction.
On 2007-03-26, David Brown <david@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote:

>> For example, there's a "Minnestoa Vikings" football team. In >> the us you say: >> >> The Vikings have a good chance to win. ("Vikings" is plural) >> Minnesota has a good chance to win. ("Minnesota" is singular) >> >> In the UK, both would be treated as plural and "have" would be >> used. >> >> That's just the way it is. > > No, it isn't. British English speakers would also say "The Vikings > have", and "Minnesota has".
You should tell that to the BBC. Their newsreaders always use plural verbs with singular collective nouns such as sports teams, corporations, and government entities.
> In English, the plurality of the verb always matches the > subject - it's not just an American thing. There will be the > some variations from place to place, but anyone writing "HP > have strong tech support" is not writing grammatically correct > English.
Odd. "HP have" and "Manchester have" are the usages I always hear on the BBC. It's what I remember hearing in Englad as well. England. It's possible I heard both and only noticed the usage that was unfamiliar, but I've also read about it as one of the differences between US and British English. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! TONY RANDALL! Is YOUR at life a PATIO of FUN?? visi.com
"Grant Edwards" <grante@visi.com> wrote in message
> On 2007-03-26, David Brown <david@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote: > >>> For example, there's a "Minnestoa Vikings" football team. In >>> the us you say: >>> >>> The Vikings have a good chance to win. ("Vikings" is plural) >>> Minnesota has a good chance to win. ("Minnesota" is singular) >>> >>> In the UK, both would be treated as plural and "have" would be >>> used. >>> >>> That's just the way it is. >> >> No, it isn't. British English speakers would also say "The Vikings >> have", and "Minnesota has". > > You should tell that to the BBC. Their newsreaders always use > plural verbs with singular collective nouns such as sports > teams, corporations, and government entities. > >> In English, the plurality of the verb always matches the >> subject - it's not just an American thing. There will be the >> some variations from place to place, but anyone writing "HP >> have strong tech support" is not writing grammatically correct >> English. > > Odd. "HP have" and "Manchester have" are the usages I always > hear on the BBC. It's what I remember hearing in Englad as > well. England. It's possible I heard both and only noticed the > usage that was unfamiliar, but I've also read about it as one > of the differences between US and British English. > > -- > Grant Edwards grante Yow! TONY RANDALL! Is > YOUR > at life a PATIO of FUN??
Yes, but the BBC (once guardian of the English language) cannot get through a weather forecast on the radio now without referring to "bits and pieces of rain". What the hell is that supposed to mean? I would not take them as a good reference. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com An IEC 61508 compliant real time kernel for safety related systems.
On Mar 25, 1:33 pm, martin griffith <mart_in_medina@ya___.es> wrote:

> >I am studying now a subject called 'Microcontroller 8051" > > You can do many things, but I would ask your teacher why you are > learning such a very old product, there are many better ones around, > Atmel AVR, TI MSP430 for example.
As he said he's in an engineering program, the particular processor used as a platform for the class is really not important - the goal is not to learn about programming an 8051, but to learn about embedded controllors in general, using a ready example. If he were is some sort of abbreviated trade-school program, intended to teach students to "do" rather than to "think" then it might be important to target whatever processor they would soon be expected to use. Of course that might still be an 8051! Two years ago, I interviewed with a toy maker still using a 4-bit core in huge volume products...
> > If he were is some sort of abbreviated trade-school program, intended > to teach students to "do" rather than to "think" then it might be > important to target whatever processor they would soon be expected to > use. Of course that might still be an 8051!
Like about 90% of so-called 'engineering' courses these days? - particularly ones in countries to which stuff is outsourced, where 'textbook' answers and plagiarism are more widely tolerated? ;) pete -- pete@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"
On 2007-03-26, FreeRTOS.org <noemail@noaddress.com> wrote:

>>> No, it isn't. British English speakers would also say "The >>> Vikings have", and "Minnesota has". >> >> You should tell that to the BBC. Their newsreaders always use >> plural verbs with singular collective nouns such as sports >> teams, corporations, and government entities.
[...]
> Yes, but the BBC (once guardian of the English language) > cannot get through a weather forecast on the radio now without > referring to "bits and pieces of rain".
Ah well, we aren't too proud of many of our TV "weather people" here either. ;)
> What the hell is that supposed to mean? I would not take them > as a good reference.
-- Grant Edwards grante Yow! YOW!! Up ahead! It's at a DONUT HUT!! visi.com
On Mar 26, 5:07 am, Pete Fenelon <p...@stratos.fenelon.com> wrote:
> Ed Prochak <edproc...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > What you can do with an 8051 is design and implement about any system > > that only requires an 8bit processor. For example (AFAIK) most PC > > keyboards are built using an 8051. Possibly your microwave oven uses > > an 8051 controller. > > I thought they were mostly 8048s - even nastier and smaller ;) > > pete > -- > p...@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"
You might be right! ed