Real Time Clock Hardware

Started by Tim Wescott April 30, 2007
On Tue, 1 May 2007 08:07:36 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
<JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

>"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message >news:sehe33pqa3n0och6q6ksdpbmd17lj6qq3c@4ax.com... >> The only thing the Mac does is work and look beautiful. It's an >> awesome piece of design, and the OS is superb. > >It's just UNIX with a bit of sanity added. :-) > >> I just bought a dozen HP ProLiant "server" boxes so I guess we won't >> be converting to Macs any time soon. > >Macs will happily access PC servers,
We're going to use the HPs as regular PCs, not as servers. I'm typing on one now. We decided they were just the cleanest and probably most reliable machines we could find, and we wanted everybody in the company to be running the same iron, with a couple of spares around. John
DaveM wrote:
> "John Popelish" <jpopelish@rica.net> wrote in message > news:mLqdnU66Po34D6vbnZ2dnUVZ_ovinZ2d@comcast.com... > >>Joerg wrote: >> >> >>>Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope for >>>making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. Or am I just >>>too freaking old? >> >>I think a more common description is lacing cord. Digikey produces one hit, >>but it is for a not stocked 50 pound spool by Alpha Wire. >> > > > Mouser and Newark list several types of lacing cord. Just search for "lacing" > to get the hits >
Yes, I found that at Mouser. Even comes in two colors but unfortunately only in rather large spools. I'd only need 50ft or so at a client and having a drum of 1500ft doesn't make sense. So I'll see if our aircraft maintenance guys have any or I'll just do it with wires. Digikey is out. They are out of stock on a lot lately, had a real hard time assembling the last part list. I would go to Mouser instead but their search "feature" is the pits. That costs them more business than they'll ever know. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Joerg wrote:
> DaveM wrote: >> "John Popelish" <jpopelish@rica.net> wrote in message >> news:mLqdnU66Po34D6vbnZ2dnUVZ_ovinZ2d@comcast.com... >> >>> Joerg wrote: >>> >>> >>>> Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope >>>> for making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. >>>> Or am I just too freaking old? >>> >>> I think a more common description is lacing cord. Digikey produces >>> one hit, but it is for a not stocked 50 pound spool by Alpha Wire. >>> >> >> >> Mouser and Newark list several types of lacing cord. Just search for >> "lacing" to get the hits >> > > Yes, I found that at Mouser. Even comes in two colors but unfortunately > only in rather large spools. I'd only need 50ft or so at a client and > having a drum of 1500ft doesn't make sense. So I'll see if our aircraft > maintenance guys have any or I'll just do it with wires. > > Digikey is out. They are out of stock on a lot lately, had a real hard > time assembling the last part list. I would go to Mouser instead but > their search "feature" is the pits. That costs them more business than > they'll ever know.
For test fixtures and personal stuff, I really like waxed dental floss. I'd be concerned about using it in production or flight hardware.
"Joerg" <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message
> DaveM wrote: >> "John Popelish" <jpopelish@rica.net> wrote in message >> news:mLqdnU66Po34D6vbnZ2dnUVZ_ovinZ2d@comcast.com... >> >>>Joerg wrote: >>> >>> >>>>Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope for >>>>making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. Or am I just >>>>too freaking old? >>> >>>I think a more common description is lacing cord. Digikey produces one hit, >>>but it is for a not stocked 50 pound spool by Alpha Wire. >>> >> >> >> Mouser and Newark list several types of lacing cord. Just search for >> "lacing" to get the hits >> > > Yes, I found that at Mouser. Even comes in two colors but unfortunately only > in rather large spools. I'd only need 50ft or so at a client and having a drum > of 1500ft doesn't make sense. So I'll see if our aircraft maintenance guys > have any or I'll just do it with wires. > > Digikey is out. They are out of stock on a lot lately, had a real hard time > assembling the last part list. I would go to Mouser instead but their search > "feature" is the pits. That costs them more business than they'll ever know. > > -- > Regards, Joerg > > http://www.analogconsultants.com
Looks like 500yd is the standard put-up for lacing twine. I have a spool of flat braided waxed black nylon twine that I've been using for years... still have bunches on it. If you would like, I can spool off 50ft or so and send to you. Email your mailing address if so. -- Dave M MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the address) Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster it goes.
"Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message
> For test fixtures and personal stuff, I really like > waxed dental floss. I'd be concerned about using > it in production or flight hardware.
Silly question, but why is the wax important? (I've never done any string lacing myself...)
On Tue, 01 May 2007 08:07:36 -0700, Joel Kolstad wrote:

> "John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message > news:sehe33pqa3n0och6q6ksdpbmd17lj6qq3c@4ax.com... >> The only thing the Mac does is work and look beautiful. It's an >> awesome piece of design, and the OS is superb. > > It's just UNIX with a bit of sanity added. :-) > >> I just bought a dozen HP ProLiant "server" boxes so I guess we won't >> be converting to Macs any time soon. > > Macs will happily access PC servers, and PCs will happily access Mac servers > these days (the only downside being, OK, it's generally not as fast as > Mac<-->Mac or PC<-->PC, but yourself you're routinely moving hundred > megabyte files around, you probably won't notice or care). Apple actually > uses an open-source implementation of the SAMBA file sharing protocol to > pull this off... that must look pretty good on the author's resume, > "Implemented SAMBA server code as open-source, free software... later > adopted by Apple and shipped on millions of Macs..."
And the interviewer says, "So, it says here that you work for free..." ;-) Cheers! Rich
On Tue, 01 May 2007 09:01:13 -0700, Joerg wrote:
> DaveM wrote: >> "John Popelish" <jpopelish@rica.net> wrote in message >>> >>>>Talking about high-tech here: Does anyone know where to get wax rope for >>>>making cable harnesses? Couldn't find it on Digikey or Mouser. Or am I just >>>>too freaking old? >>> >>>I think a more common description is lacing cord. Digikey produces one hit, >>>but it is for a not stocked 50 pound spool by Alpha Wire. >> >> Mouser and Newark list several types of lacing cord. Just search for "lacing" >> to get the hits > > Yes, I found that at Mouser. Even comes in two colors but unfortunately > only in rather large spools. I'd only need 50ft or so at a client and > having a drum of 1500ft doesn't make sense. So I'll see if our aircraft > maintenance guys have any or I'll just do it with wires.
... Go to the avionics shop and ask them if they can spare 50 feet of flight line and a bucket of prop wash. ;-) Cheers! Rich
On Tue, 1 May 2007 10:58:03 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded "Joel
Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message >news:0PmdnSWVLO0z6qrbnZ2dnUVZ_sPinZ2d@omsoft.com... >> For test fixtures and personal stuff, I really like >> waxed dental floss. I'd be concerned about using >> it in production or flight hardware. > >Silly question, but why is the wax important? (I've never done any string >lacing myself...) >
ISTR that it holds the knots tight when tension is released. ( but I havn't used lacing cord for over 25 years) martin
martin griffith wrote:
> On Tue, 1 May 2007 10:58:03 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded "Joel > Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> "Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message >> news:0PmdnSWVLO0z6qrbnZ2dnUVZ_sPinZ2d@omsoft.com... >>> For test fixtures and personal stuff, I really like >>> waxed dental floss. I'd be concerned about using >>> it in production or flight hardware. >> Silly question, but why is the wax important? (I've never done any string >> lacing myself...) >> > ISTR that it holds the knots tight when tension is released. ( but I > havn't used lacing cord for over 25 years)
Yup. Square knots stay nice and tight.
On Tue, 01 May 2007 11:33:29 -0700, in sci.electronics.design Jim
Stewart <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote:

>martin griffith wrote: >> On Tue, 1 May 2007 10:58:03 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded "Joel >> Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >>> "Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message >>> news:0PmdnSWVLO0z6qrbnZ2dnUVZ_sPinZ2d@omsoft.com... >>>> For test fixtures and personal stuff, I really like >>>> waxed dental floss. I'd be concerned about using >>>> it in production or flight hardware. >>> Silly question, but why is the wax important? (I've never done any string >>> lacing myself...) >>> >> ISTR that it holds the knots tight when tension is released. ( but I >> havn't used lacing cord for over 25 years) > >Yup. Square knots stay nice and tight. >
http://www.casa.gov.au/rules/1998casr/021/021c99.pdf page 147 martin

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference