turn your expensive oscilloscope into a $5 clock

Started by BrunoG November 2, 2007
Tim Shoppa wrote:

> On Nov 2, 11:07 am, "BrunoG" <nore...@micro-examples.com> wrote: > >>Hi, >> >>Here is my suggestion to turn your oscilloscope into a clock with a PIC a 4 >>resistors :http://www.micro-examples.com/public/microex-navig/doc/082-pic-oscill... >> >>I'm opened to your destructive comments :) > > > I remember hacking 6800 assembly code as a kid and tweaking R's and > C's in my ramp generator until I had spelled out my name on the scope > screen :-). > > Somewhere on the world-wide-interweb is a 50's era article that shows > how to synthesize some very nicely rendered digits onto a X-Y display > using sine/cosine waves and harmonics. >
There was a nice article in the Proceedings of the IRE from the '50s about doing just that -- it was a lot like a QEX article from more recent times. Regards, Michael

Sorry, I was too busy using a $10,000.00 computer to replace
a 99 cent pack of playing cards while playing solitaire...

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.guymacon.com/>

I ran a WAV of something like that on my oscilloscope.  Too bad my
soundcard is crummy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLAEF_qsXs

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: A very philosophical monk.

http://www.micro-examples.com/public/microex-navig/doc/082-pic-oscillo-cloc k

Look again. it's not to ground, or at least when I looked at it it wasn't. -- "I'm never wrong, once i thought i was, but was mistaken" Real Programmers Do things like this. http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Guy Macon wrote:
> > Sorry, I was too busy using a $10,000.00 computer to replace > a 99 cent pack of playing cards while playing solitaire...
$10,000.00 computer? Are you interested in a used bridge, cheap? -- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85. Michael A. Terrell Central Florida
Nice.
Hat down.

--
      =^.^=
StoneThrower

On 11/2/07 4:16 PM, in article OkNWi.130$474.60@newsfe06.lga, "Jamie"
<jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1lpa_@charter.net> wrote:

> DJ Delorie wrote: > >> "BrunoG" <noreply@micro-examples.com> writes: >> >>> http://www.micro-examples.com/public/microex-navig/doc/082-pic-oscillo-clock >> >> >> Your schematic has +5v connected directly to GND. >> >> The project itself is cool, though. > Look again. > it's not to ground, or at least when I looked at it it wasn't. >
It sure looks like it's tied to ground. Maybe you should reconsider this AND coupling capacitors.
On Nov 3, 12:46 pm, Don Bowey <dbo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 11/2/07 4:16 PM, in article OkNWi.130$474...@newsfe06.lga, "Jamie" > > <jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1l...@charter.net> wrote: > > DJ Delorie wrote: > > >> "BrunoG" <nore...@micro-examples.com> writes: > > >>>http://www.micro-examples.com/public/microex-navig/doc/082-pic-oscill... > > >> Your schematic has +5v connected directly to GND. > > >> The project itself is cool, though. > > Look again. > > it's not to ground, or at least when I looked at it it wasn't. > > It sure looks like it's tied to ground. > > Maybe you should reconsider this AND coupling capacitors.
I think you will find the small schematic on the page does have the power supply short. When you click it for the enlargement, you get the corrected version. Depending on your age and your monitor the one directly on the page is difficult to see if it is correct or not.

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

>Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> wrote: > >>Re: turning an expensive oscilloscope into a $5 clock >> >> Sorry, I was too busy using a $10,000.00 computer to replace >> a 99 cent pack of playing cards while playing solitaire... > >$10,000.00 computer? Are you interested in a used bridge, cheap?
I would rather you sell me one of these for less than $10,000: Dell PowerEdge 6800 server Quad 3.4GHz/800Mhz/16mb Cache, Dual-Core Intel Xeon 7140M CPUs 8GB, DDR2, 400MHz (8X1GB) Single Ranked DIMMs, (Mirrored, 4GB usable) Dual Power Supplies 24X IDE CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive Split HD Backplane 2X5 Hot-Pluggable Split HDD Backplane Dula PERC4DC-PCI Express controllers, 128MB Cache ea. Two 146GB 15KRPM SCSI U320 HotPlug Hard Drives (RAID-1[mirrored]) Three 300GB 10KRPM SCSI U320 HotPlug Hard Drives (RAID-5) Two Intel Pro 1000MT Dual Port Gigabit Network Adapters List price: $16,063 Price after Volume discount: $11,244 (I didn't add the cost of Redhat, VMWare, multiple Windows licenses, seperate NAS for backup, UPS, monitor, etc...) BTW, I don't actually play Solitaire on a computer; until the above system gets installed it will be running a chess program -- and beating me badly every game. :) -- Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/>
"BrunoG" <noreply@micro-examples.com> wrote
> > Here is my suggestion to turn your oscilloscope into a clock with a PIC a > 4 resistors : > http://www.micro-examples.com/public/microex-navig/doc/082-pic-oscillo-clock > > I'm opened to your destructive comments :)
Neat design, generating text in Y/T mode. Let's be constructive: With a small SW change you could put a needle ('invisible') pulse in each image trace at the point in time where the scope should start, the scope should be able to trigger on that. Just have enough time between images so the scope hold off time has finished (normally not more than 10..20% of the sweep time). For most scopes this removes the need for the trigger cable (which still makes thinks look as if you are doing X-Y control). For rotten scopes one could still connect the old trigger output. Regards, Arie de Muynck