EmbeddedRelated.com
Forums
The 2024 Embedded Online Conference

New video -- PID tuning

Started by Tim Wescott 8 years ago8 replieslatest reply 8 years ago173 views

Yet another video on tuning PID controllers has been tossed into the YouTube pool.

[ - ]
Reply by MichaelKellettJuly 7, 2016

Interesting video Tim, but would benefit greatly from a description of the plant. I think it's a pivoted balanced pole using the little propelled to position itself and some kind of rotary sensor on the pivot. It would help to have a diagram. And a block diagram of the maths would help too.

I'll try the method sometime but I don't currently have a project that needs it.

Thanks for the effort.

MK

[ - ]
Reply by Tim WescottJuly 7, 2016

OK.  You're the second person who's asked for a description of the trainer -- I think I'll have to make a video on it.

I'm trying to keep the size of the videos down, both for my own sanity and for the (presumed) attention span of the viewer.  So part of the effort in each case is deciding what I have to leave out.

There will be a block diagram of the thing forthcoming at some point -- but I think I may just do an off-the-cuff video tour of it first.

[ - ]
Reply by qbitrexJuly 7, 2016

Thanks for your effort I had to Google what a PID was.

The robotics/flying drone crowd should appreciate your expertise.

I was a bit worried by your propeller example device I was expecting it to start to fly out of control and draw blood the way you were gingerly poking it.

Have a beer mate. 

[ - ]

If I was poking gingerly it was more because I didn't want to break the thing.  The prop is small enough that it can hit a finger at full speed and not break the skin.

[ - ]
Reply by antedeluvianJuly 7, 2016

Well presented and great explanation. One quibble- in setting the proportional gain you use a value of 2 for 1% of 2000- 1% is 20. Unless I misheard and you said .1%

[ - ]

No, it was a slipped digit.  1% is my usual rule of thumb, 0.1% is what was there.  I've annotated the video with a correction.

[ - ]
Reply by TentoesJuly 7, 2016

Can't wait for next part!

[ - ]

Unless I get about 1000 times more views, figure that it'll be one video toward the beginning of each month, and if I manage to get more out it's a bonus.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference