What is your development setup on Linux (or equiv)?

Started by Mike Silva June 20, 2007
I've spent some 25 years developing software on CP/M, various 80s home
computers and finally, DOS and Windows.  Now (coinciding, ahem, with
the release of Vista...) I think it's way past time that I looked at
Linux (and perhaps one of the BSDs) as a development platform.

What I'd like to find out is what folks are using to develop on
Linux.  In particular, what editors or IDEs are you using?  And what
else would you tell somebody looking to start developing native and
cross-platform embedded software on Linux?  Many thanks for any
comments.

Mike

On Jun 20, 11:06 am, Mike Silva <snarflem...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What I'd like to find out is what folks are using to develop on > Linux. In particular, what editors or IDEs are you using? And what > else would you tell somebody looking to start developing native and > cross-platform embedded software on Linux? Many thanks for any
It depends what you're targeting. Are you just desirous of using Linux as your desktop OS, or are you developing for Linux targets, or what? Is the target big enough to run the compiler directly? What micros are you intending to use? I am working with several micros at the moment, and here are my setups. All of the software that I'm currently running inside MacOS could be run under Linux if desired: Cell/BE: PlayStation 3 (60GB edition) is the target. I run the compiler on the target. I export the source directory using nfs and edit the files directly using eclipse running on my main workstation (which, at the moment, is a 2.16GHz MacBook running OSX). I have a telnet window open to the PS3, and I run make in that window. Currently I also run gdb in that window, though it would be more efficient to run it natively on the Mac. MSP430: This development is currently done on a PC. I use Rowley's CrossWorks. Avail for Linux/Windows. ARM: This development is currently done on a PC. I use Rowley's CrossWorks. Again avail for Linux/Windows. These are OSless designs. With MSP430 and ARM I am currently using Windows because I need to run other s/w at the same time, which is not presently available for Linux. But I could do the firmware development under Linux if I wanted to; I have in the past. AVR: Currently I do this natively in MacOS. I use avrgcc, with eclipse as my editor. Note that Rowley also has an AVR compiler/IDE for Linux/ Windows. Java (yes I use it in embedded designs): eclipse on MacOS again. Linux would actually be better due to more up-to-date Java support, but the system I have works okay for now.
On Jun 20, 11:32 am, larwe <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 11:06 am, Mike Silva <snarflem...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > What I'd like to find out is what folks are using to develop on > > Linux. In particular, what editors or IDEs are you using? And what > > else would you tell somebody looking to start developing native and > > cross-platform embedded software on Linux? Many thanks for any > > It depends what you're targeting. Are you just desirous of using Linux > as your desktop OS, or are you developing for Linux targets, or what? > Is the target big enough to run the compiler directly? What micros are > you intending to use?
I'm in self-improvement mode at the moment, which means that while I'm thinking mostly of 32-bit targets I don't have anything particular in mind, though I do have s small ARM SBC I'd like to play with (too small to run Linux). I'd also like to try cross-developing (on Linux) for some larger SBC (tbd) that is running Linux. Maybe something built around an MPC5** or Coldfire device.
"Mike Silva" <snarflemike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What I'd like to find out is what folks are using to develop on > Linux. In particular, what editors or IDEs are you using? And what > else would you tell somebody looking to start developing native and > cross-platform embedded software on Linux? Many thanks for any > comments.
I myself do a lot of web development on Linux (a text-only box), and I use Emacs as the editor. However, when I purchased SlickEdit a while back for my Windows box, I do remember that they have a version for Linux. That would be very much worth investigating as an editor. www.slickedit.com Dave. -- David T. Ashley (dta@e3ft.com) http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page) http://www.dtashley.com (Personal Home Page) http://gpl.e3ft.com (GPL Publications and Projects)
 Mike Silva <snarflemike@yahoo.com> writes:

> What I'd like to find out is what folks are using to develop on > Linux. In particular, what editors or IDEs are you using? And what > else would you tell somebody looking to start developing native and > cross-platform embedded software on Linux? Many thanks for any > comments.
Emacs, make, gcc, and gdb. Petter -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
> I've spent some 25 years developing software on CP/M, various 80s home > computers and finally, DOS and Windows. Now (coinciding, ahem, with > the release of Vista...) I think it's way past time that I looked at > Linux (and perhaps one of the BSDs) as a development platform. > > What I'd like to find out is what folks are using to develop on > Linux. In particular, what editors or IDEs are you using? And what > else would you tell somebody looking to start developing native and > cross-platform embedded software on Linux? Many thanks for any > comments.
For the chips supported by the GNU tools (GCC, as, ld, gdb, ...): - GNU tools for compilation and creating the binary images, - nedit for an editor under X, - gdb for debugging, - ddd for running gdb under X. I tried Eclipse, but, IMHO, it's too heavy. Just plain old GNU make will do the repetitive work as well, though it's not as flashy as some IDE. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi
On 2007-06-20, Petter Gustad <newsmailcomp6@gustad.com> wrote:
> Mike Silva <snarflemike@yahoo.com> writes: > >> What I'd like to find out is what folks are using to develop on >> Linux. In particular, what editors or IDEs are you using? And what >> else would you tell somebody looking to start developing native and >> cross-platform embedded software on Linux? Many thanks for any >> comments. > > Emacs, make, gcc, and gdb.
jed (in emacs mode), make, gcc, and (occasionally) gdb. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! My mind is a potato at field ... visi.com
With that in mind, you will want to become familiar with GCC cross compilers. <http://gcc.gnu.org/> The CrossGCC mailing list <http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/> is worth joining if you get into building your own cross compilers. Dan Kegal's crosstool script is worthy if you start building cross toolchains targeted at Linux based embedded systems. When building GCC cross toolchains for "bare metal" embedded systems, newlib is nice to know about, and the GCC build machinery makes it fairly easy to build. <http://sourceware.org/newlib/> I can't help you on editors too much, other than to say vi (a.k.a. vim) is the ultimate text editor ;-) Linux is an adventure. -- Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918 5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460 Kennesaw, GA, USA 30144 http://mnmoran.org "So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key." The Eagles, "Already Gone" The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1
"Mike Silva" <snarflemike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've spent some 25 years developing software on CP/M, various 80s home > computers and finally, DOS and Windows. Now (coinciding, ahem, with > the release of Vista...) I think it's way past time that I looked at > Linux (and perhaps one of the BSDs) as a development platform. > > What I'd like to find out is what folks are using to develop on > Linux. In particular, what editors or IDEs are you using? And what > else would you tell somebody looking to start developing native and > cross-platform embedded software on Linux? Many thanks for any > comments. > > Mike
I use linux or linux in vmware. Currently fedora core 6 and just having a test with fedora 7 . Usually command line for compiling + kedit. Vim if I not running x. Eclipse if I need an ide (is pretty slow even on fast machines) But usually find I'm more productive with command line compiling(and tools) + plain text editor. Some tools you need to compile yourself from sources others are available prepackaged. Atmel provides pre-packaged tools for avr32. Also use a mini mac. Currently just for avr , m68k and arm. The bsd's and mac are easier to setup than linux due to the ports collections (fink or darwin ports on mac) avr osx package is mac equivalent of winavr. Alex
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:06:40 -0700, Mike Silva wrote:

> What I'd like to find out is what folks are using to develop on > Linux. In particular, what editors or IDEs are you using?
JEdit, gcc/binutils, make (for C). Eclipse (for java)
> And what > else would you tell somebody looking to start developing native and > cross-platform embedded software on Linux? Many thanks for any > comments.
Other resources, maybe: Linux programming - Advanced Programming in the UNIX(R) Environment (2nd Edition) (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series) Some general sys admin (e.g BASH, setting up networking, etc - search 'Linux howtos', or www.oreilly.com) Device Drivers - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdrive3/ Regards, Paul Taylor.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference