Many thanks to all of you who have replied.  I gather that there is a
great deal of variety in the tools being used (esp. editors).  For
some (unjustified, I admit) reason I was not really expecting that.

Anyway, further reports on tool sets being used are certainly
welcome.  And additional thanks to all who pointed to additional
resources as well.

Mike

On Jun 20, 11:32 am, larwe <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MSP430: > This development is currently done on a PC. I use Rowley's CrossWorks. > Avail for Linux/Windows. > > ARM: > This development is currently done on a PC. I use Rowley's CrossWorks. > Again avail for Linux/Windows. These are OSless designs.
I keep forgetting that CrossWorks works on linux. That's the only commercial toolset that works on linux, I believe? Eric
> Many thanks to all of you who have replied. I gather that there is a > great deal of variety in the tools being used (esp. editors). For > some (unjustified, I admit) reason I was not really expecting that.
I'll be porting my open source EmbeddedGNU IDE to linux as time allows. I'll use the same syntax highlighting editor component used by MonoDevelop. Once of the unique niches I'll be supporting is the use of Java for small target devices - in addition to gcc, of course. NanoVM for the AVR devices has gotten my attention. I'm amazed at what they can do to stick an OOP program into an 8K flash device with 1K or RAM. Surely we can take that a lot further with 128K of flash ... A good commercial editor for linux is SlickEdit. Eric
On 2007-06-22, Eric <englere_geo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 11:32 am, larwe <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote: > >> MSP430: >> This development is currently done on a PC. I use Rowley's CrossWorks. >> Avail for Linux/Windows. >> >> ARM: >> This development is currently done on a PC. I use Rowley's CrossWorks. >> Again avail for Linux/Windows. These are OSless designs. > > I keep forgetting that CrossWorks works on linux. That's the only > commercial toolset that works on linux, I believe?
It's the only one I've found for the processors I've used recently (e.g MSP430 and ARM). I currently use gcc for both, but should I ever need a commercial toolchain/debugger Rowley is probably the first place I'd look. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... I think I'd at better go back to my DESK visi.com and toy with a few common MISAPPREHENSIONS ...
> > I keep forgetting that CrossWorks works on linux. That's the only > commercial toolset that works on linux, I believe?
More or less. I'm not specifically aware of any other cross- development toolchain that runs on Linux that is not gcc-based.
On 2007-06-22, larwe <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2:11 pm, Eric <englere_...@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >> I keep forgetting that CrossWorks works on linux. That's the only >> commercial toolset that works on linux, I believe? > > More or less. I'm not specifically aware of any other cross- > development toolchain that runs on Linux that is not gcc-based.
Just to clarify one point, CrossWorks for ARM is gcc based. IIRC, Crossworks for other architectures use Rowley compilers. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! The PILLSBURY DOUGHBOY at is CRYING for an END to visi.com BURT REYNOLDS movies!!
Mike Silva <snarflemike@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What I'd like to find out is what folks are using to develop on > Linux. In particular, what editors or IDEs are you using?
bash, gcc, vi, make, gdb.
bash, gcc cross compiler, vi, make, gdb for your target.. pete -- pete@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"
larwe <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> writes:
> On Jun 22, 2:11 pm, Eric <englere_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I keep forgetting that CrossWorks works on linux. That's the only >> commercial toolset that works on linux, I believe?
> More or less. I'm not specifically aware of any other cross- > development toolchain that runs on Linux that is not gcc-based.
HI-TECH Software's recent compilers (not GCC-based) ship for Linux, MacOSX, and Windows. mlp
On 2007-06-24, Mark L Pappin <mlp@acm.org> wrote:
> larwe <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> writes: >> On Jun 22, 2:11 pm, Eric <englere_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>> I keep forgetting that CrossWorks works on linux. That's the only >>> commercial toolset that works on linux, I believe? > >> More or less. I'm not specifically aware of any other cross- >> development toolchain that runs on Linux that is not gcc-based. > > HI-TECH Software's recent compilers (not GCC-based) ship for Linux, > MacOSX, and Windows.
I have to give them credit for charging the same price for Linux and for Windows -- unlike other vendors (e.g. Gimple) who charge 4X for the Linux/Unix version. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm reporting for at duty as a modern person. I visi.com want to do the Latin Hustle now!
On Jun 24, 9:40 am, Mark L Pappin <m...@acm.org> wrote:

> HI-TECH Software's recent compilers (not GCC-based) ship for Linux, > MacOSX, and Windows.
Dammit, you got me all excited. Then I went to htsoft and saw that all they actually offer is PIC and x86. Grrrr.