What is your development setup on Linux (or equiv)?

Started by Mike Silva June 20, 2007

Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2007-06-24, Mark L Pappin <mlp@acm.org> wrote: > > larwe <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> writes: > >> On Jun 22, 2:11 pm, Eric <englere_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > >>> I keep forgetting that CrossWorks works on linux. That's the only > >>> commercial toolset that works on linux, I believe? > > > >> More or less. I'm not specifically aware of any other cross- > >> development toolchain that runs on Linux that is not gcc-based. > > > > HI-TECH Software's recent compilers (not GCC-based) ship for Linux, > > MacOSX, and Windows. > > I have to give them credit for charging the same price for > Linux and for Windows -- unlike other vendors (e.g. Gimple) who > charge 4X for the Linux/Unix version.
It is not so much of an issue anymore. If tool developers follow a reasonable set of design rules most tool applications will run on Windows, MacOS, HPUX, Spark and Linux under many different windows emulators with essentially no performance hit. When we (Byte Craft) realized that just by being disciplined with the design rules we used we could support many different platforms with few penalties and more important a reasonable expectation that the tools would perform in the same manner on each of them. There are some additional design considerations that multiplatform support needs to consider with this approach the best known is line termination support differences between windows and unix based platforms. Multiplatform support is also one of several reasons that all of our code generation tools can be called from a command line and combined to other tools in a tool set. This has been our approach and of course it means that pricing for all platforms is the same as a result. Regards Walter Banks -- Byte Craft Limited Tel. (519) 888-6911 http://www.bytecraft.com email walter@bytecraft.com
On 2007-06-24, larwe <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 9:40 am, Mark L Pappin <m...@acm.org> wrote: > >> HI-TECH Software's recent compilers (not GCC-based) ship for Linux, >> MacOSX, and Windows. > > Dammit, you got me all excited. Then I went to htsoft and saw that all > they actually offer is PIC and x86. Grrrr.
Really? Their web shows pricing on compilers for PIC, 8051, ARM, MSP430, 6811, XA, H8, Z80, 68K, ARClite microRISC, 6805, HOLTEK. I don't see anything for x86... -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. the MYSTERIANS are at in here with my CORDUROY visi.com SOAP DISH!!
On Jun 24, 1:09 pm, Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com> wrote:

> Really? Their web shows pricing on compilers for PIC, 8051, ARM, > MSP430, 6811, XA, H8, Z80, 68K, ARClite microRISC, 6805, > HOLTEK. I don't see anything for x86...
Look on the demos download page.
In news:1182535888.144620.88760@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com
timestamped Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:11:28 -0700, Eric
<englere_geo@yahoo.com> posted:
     "[..]

     I keep forgetting that CrossWorks works on linux. That's the only
     commercial toolset that works on linux, I believe?"

No, some of Aonix's compilers are also hosted on GNU/Linux.
Walter Banks <walter@bytecraft.com> writes:

> run on Windows, MacOS, HPUX, Spark and Linux under > many different windows emulators
This is not the same as running native. Close, perhaps, but not the same. mlp