The Right PCB House

Started by Talal Itani June 21, 2008
Hello,

I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing fancy.
I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to Sierra Pro
Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits.  Do you think I made the
right choice?  Do you have any recommendations?  I would like to receive the
board 3-5 days.

T.I.

Hi,

I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www.
4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service (http://
www.freedfm.com/), even if you don't end up going with them for
manufacturing.

ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is
that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use,
but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software.
Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also
kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty
stuff though.

Regards,
-- Hauke D

Talal Itani wrote:
> Hello, > > I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing fancy. > I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to Sierra Pro > Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. Do you think I made the > right choice? Do you have any recommendations? I would like to receive the > board 3-5 days. > > T.I. > >
I have only ever used PCB express (NOT express PCB), and they have never steered me wrong. Nor have they caused problems that I know of for my one local client that uses them. They're fast, they're accurate, and if your board comes back with problems it's because you put them there. I can't speak to any of the others -- they may be even better than PCB express (although there's not much room for improvement) or they may be horrid. http://www.pcbexpress.com/. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
So, there is PCBexpress, and expressPCB.  Two different companies?

On Jun 21, 10:53=EF=BF=BDam, Hauke D <hau...@zero-g.net> wrote:
> Hi, > > I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www. > 4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service (http://www.freedfm.co=
m/), even if you don't end up going with them for
> manufacturing. > > ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is > that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use, > but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software. > Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also > kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty > stuff though. > > Regards, > -- Hauke D > > On Jun 21, 4:19 pm, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote: > > > > > Hello, > > > I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing fanc=
y.
> > I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to Sierra P=
ro
> > Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. =EF=BF=BDDo you think I m=
ade the
> > right choice? =EF=BF=BDDo you have any recommendations? =EF=BF=BDI would=
like to receive the
> > board 3-5 days. > > > T.I.- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer stuff. I've never had a problem with them, or their boards. As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you can import to many of the other programs avail. Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is one of them. -mpm
Can ExpressPCB receive files from other PCB software?

> > I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www. > 4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service > (http://www.freedfm.com/), even if you don't end up going with them for > manufacturing. > > ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is > that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use, > but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software. > Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also > kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty > stuff though. > > Regards, > -- Hauke D > > On Jun 21, 4:19 pm, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote: > > > > > Hello, > > > I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing > > fancy. > > I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to Sierra > > Pro > > Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. ?Do you think I made the > > right choice? ?Do you have any recommendations? ?I would like to receive > > the > > board 3-5 days. > > > T.I.- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer stuff. I've never had a problem with them, or their boards. As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you can import to many of the other programs avail. Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is one of them. -mpm
> So, there is PCBexpress, and expressPCB. Two different companies?
Yes.
> Can ExpressPCB receive files from other PCB software?
No. (only netlists from schematic tools)
> As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last > time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you > can import to many of the other programs avail.
Hm, didn't know that. Still, it should be noted that ExpressPCB can't read Gerber files and one can only order from ExpressPCB through their software, so I'd still consider that being pretty locked in. Plus, if I wanted to spend a little extra money, I'd just go with something like EagleCAD and one of the other fab places anyways :) I'd still recommend ExpressPCB for any simple 2-layer designs where it's not important for your design to be portable; I've used them several times myself and it's quick and easy and decent quality. And I'm a big fan of "keep it simple" interfaces like their software is. Regards, -- Hauke D
(Top posting fixed)
Yes, very different. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
mpm wrote:
> On Jun 21, 10:53&#65533;am, Hauke D <hau...@zero-g.net> wrote: >> Hi, >> >> I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www. >> 4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service (http://www.freedfm.com/), even if you don't end up going with them for >> manufacturing. >> >> ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is >> that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use, >> but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software. >> Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also >> kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty >> stuff though. >> >> Regards, >> -- Hauke D >> >> On Jun 21, 4:19 pm, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote: >> >> >> >>> Hello, >>> I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing fancy. >>> I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to Sierra Pro >>> Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. &#65533;Do you think I made the >>> right choice? &#65533;Do you have any recommendations? &#65533;I would like to receive the >>> board 3-5 days. >>> T.I.- Hide quoted text - >> - Show quoted text - > > I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer > stuff. > I've never had a problem with them, or their boards. > > As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last > time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you > can import to many of the other programs avail. > > Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype > houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might > see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards > themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the > names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is > one of them. > > -mpm
So you have software that will go from a Gerber to a nicely laid out schematic? That's impressive. I use real tools to do my schematic capture and layout, and for no extra money I go to a regular PCB house to get boards. (And PCB Express has it's own fab just 12 miles from me, so if I'm in a _real_ hurry I can pick it up and shave 8-12 hours off of the process). -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
Talal Itani wrote:
> Can ExpressPCB receive files from other PCB software? > > >> I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www. >> 4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service >> (http://www.freedfm.com/), even if you don't end up going with them for >> manufacturing. >> >> ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is >> that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use, >> but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software. >> Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also >> kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty >> stuff though. >> >> Regards, >> -- Hauke D >> >> On Jun 21, 4:19 pm, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote: >> >> >> >>> Hello, >>> I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing >>> fancy. >>> I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to Sierra >>> Pro >>> Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. ?Do you think I made the >>> right choice? ?Do you have any recommendations? ?I would like to receive >>> the >>> board 3-5 days. >>> T.I.- Hide quoted text - >> - Show quoted text - > > I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer > stuff. > I've never had a problem with them, or their boards. > > As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last > time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you > can import to many of the other programs avail. >
Then if you need to make a little change it'll be another $60?
> Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype > houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might > see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards > themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the > names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is > one of them. >
I have also used 4PCB, quite happy so far. They only messed up once (unapproved Gerber edits) but made good on that with an additional fast run, on the house. The nice thing is that I always have a real contact person there. She really helped us when they defaulted to this dreaded RoHS process which we absolutely did not want. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/ "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. Use another domain or send PM.