The Right PCB House

Started by Talal Itani June 21, 2008
Talal Itani wrote:
> Hello, > > I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing fancy. > I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to Sierra Pro > Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. Do you think I made the > right choice? Do you have any recommendations? I would like to receive the > board 3-5 days. > > T.I. > >
One usually has to pay a premium for anything less than 10 days, and certainly for 3 days. Besids, transportation will take anywhere from 2 days to 5 days (total turn-around time). Are you Russian?
Talal Itani wrote:

> So, there is PCBexpress, and expressPCB. Two different companies? > > > > > "Tim Wescott" <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote in message > news:paydneRCzL9Vv8DVnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@web-ster.com... > >>Talal Itani wrote: >> >>>Hello, >>> >>>I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing >>>fancy. I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to >>>Sierra Pro Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. Do you think I >>>made the right choice? Do you have any recommendations? I would like to >>>receive the board 3-5 days. >>> >>>T.I. >> >>I have only ever used PCB express (NOT express PCB), and they have never >>steered me wrong. Nor have they caused problems that I know of for my one >>local client that uses them. They're fast, they're accurate, and if your >>board comes back with problems it's because you put them there. >> >>I can't speak to any of the others -- they may be even better than PCB >>express (although there's not much room for improvement) or they may be >>horrid. >> >>http://www.pcbexpress.com/. >> >>-- >> >>Tim Wescott >>Wescott Design Services >>http://www.wescottdesign.com >> >>Do you need to implement control loops in software? >>"Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says. >>See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html > > >
Absolutely!
mpm wrote:

> On Jun 21, 10:53&#65533;am, Hauke D <hau...@zero-g.net> wrote: > >>Hi, >> >>I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www. >>4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service (http://www.freedfm.com/), even if you don't end up going with them for >>manufacturing. >> >>ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is >>that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use, >>but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software. >>Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also >>kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty >>stuff though. >> >>Regards, >>-- Hauke D >> >>On Jun 21, 4:19 pm, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote: >> >> >> >> >>>Hello, >> >>>I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing fancy. >>>I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to Sierra Pro >>>Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. &#65533;Do you think I made the >>>right choice? &#65533;Do you have any recommendations? &#65533;I would like to receive the >>>board 3-5 days. >> >>>T.I.- Hide quoted text - >> >>- Show quoted text - > > > I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer > stuff. > I've never had a problem with them, or their boards. > > As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last > time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you > can import to many of the other programs avail. > > Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype > houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might > see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards > themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the > names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is > one of them. > > -mpm
ExpressPCB stuff comes from Mulino OR and at one time i knew the name of the "parent" company that will do much "fancier" boards.
Talal Itani wrote:

> Can ExpressPCB receive files from other PCB software? > > > >>I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www. >>4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service >>(http://www.freedfm.com/), even if you don't end up going with them for >>manufacturing. >> >>ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is >>that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use, >>but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software. >>Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also >>kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty >>stuff though. >> >>Regards, >>-- Hauke D >> >>On Jun 21, 4:19 pm, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote: >> >> >> >> >>>Hello, >> >>>I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing >>>fancy. >>>I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to Sierra >>>Pro >>>Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. ?Do you think I made the >>>right choice? ?Do you have any recommendations? ?I would like to receive >>>the >>>board 3-5 days. >> >>>T.I.- Hide quoted text - >> >>- Show quoted text - > > > I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer > stuff. > I've never had a problem with them, or their boards. > > As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last > time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you > can import to many of the other programs avail. > > Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype > houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might > see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards > themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the > names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is > one of them. > > -mpm > >
They are not set up to do that. Send a query to their support smail address.
Joerg wrote:

> Talal Itani wrote: > >> Can ExpressPCB receive files from other PCB software? >> >> >>> I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www. >>> 4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service >>> (http://www.freedfm.com/), even if you don't end up going with them for >>> manufacturing. >>> >>> ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is >>> that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use, >>> but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software. >>> Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also >>> kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty >>> stuff though. >>> >>> Regards, >>> -- Hauke D >>> >>> On Jun 21, 4:19 pm, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote: >>> >>> >>> >>>> Hello, >>>> I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing >>>> fancy. >>>> I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to >>>> Sierra Pro >>>> Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. ?Do you think I made the >>>> right choice? ?Do you have any recommendations? ?I would like to >>>> receive the >>>> board 3-5 days. >>>> T.I.- Hide quoted text - >>> >>> - Show quoted text - >> >> >> I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer >> stuff. >> I've never had a problem with them, or their boards. >> >> As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last >> time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you >> can import to many of the other programs avail. >> > > Then if you need to make a little change it'll be another $60? > > >> Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype >> houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might >> see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards >> themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the >> names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is >> one of them. >> > > I have also used 4PCB, quite happy so far. They only messed up once > (unapproved Gerber edits) but made good on that with an additional fast > run, on the house. The nice thing is that I always have a real contact > person there. She really helped us when they defaulted to this dreaded > RoHS process which we absolutely did not want. >
Well, there are Gerber editors...
Joerg wrote:

> Talal Itani wrote: > >> Can ExpressPCB receive files from other PCB software? >> >> >>> I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www. >>> 4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service >>> (http://www.freedfm.com/), even if you don't end up going with them for >>> manufacturing. >>> >>> ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is >>> that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use, >>> but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software. >>> Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also >>> kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty >>> stuff though. >>> >>> Regards, >>> -- Hauke D >>> >>> On Jun 21, 4:19 pm, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote: >>> >>> >>> >>>> Hello, >>>> I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing >>>> fancy. >>>> I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to >>>> Sierra Pro >>>> Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. ?Do you think I made the >>>> right choice? ?Do you have any recommendations? ?I would like to >>>> receive the >>>> board 3-5 days. >>>> T.I.- Hide quoted text - >>> >>> - Show quoted text - >> >> >> I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer >> stuff. >> I've never had a problem with them, or their boards. >> >> As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last >> time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you >> can import to many of the other programs avail. >> > > Then if you need to make a little change it'll be another $60? > > >> Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype >> houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might >> see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards >> themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the >> names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is >> one of them. >> > > I have also used 4PCB, quite happy so far. They only messed up once > (unapproved Gerber edits) but made good on that with an additional fast > run, on the house. The nice thing is that I always have a real contact > person there. She really helped us when they defaulted to this dreaded > RoHS process which we absolutely did not want. >
Not much differnce between tin/lead solder on pads and silver plate *IF* one is not going above (say) 150C. Tin/lead solder and tin/silver solders act esentially the same, so what is the beef?
"Robert Baer" <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Talal Itani wrote: >> Hello, >> >> I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing >> fancy. I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to >> Sierra Pro Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. Do you think I >> made the right choice? Do you have any recommendations? I would like to >> receive the board 3-5 days. >> >> T.I. > One usually has to pay a premium for anything less than 10 days, and > certainly for 3 days. > Besids, transportation will take anywhere from 2 days to 5 days (total > turn-around time). > Are you Russian?
No.
Non-RoHS parts on a RoHS PCB usually isn't a good idea. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/ "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. Use another domain or send PM.
Robert Baer wrote:
> Joerg wrote: > >> Talal Itani wrote: >> >>> Can ExpressPCB receive files from other PCB software? >>> >>> >>>> I've had good experiences with Advanced Circuits (http://www. >>>> 4pcb.com/). Make sure to use their free FDM service >>>> (http://www.freedfm.com/), even if you don't end up going with them for >>>> manufacturing. >>>> >>>> ExpressPCB is only good for quick-and-dirty stuff. Their advantage is >>>> that they're cheap and their design software is pretty simple to use, >>>> but the big disadvantage is that it locks you in to their software. >>>> Also I've never done 4-layer stuff with them; I believe they're also >>>> kind of limited in that department. They're great for quick-and-dirty >>>> stuff though. >>>> >>>> Regards, >>>> -- Hauke D >>>> >>>> On Jun 21, 4:19 pm, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>> Hello, >>>>> I need to have a 4-layer board made, a prototype, 2 boards, nothing >>>>> fancy. >>>>> I did some research in this newsgroup and I narrowed it down to >>>>> Sierra Pro >>>>> Express, ExpressPCB, and AC Advanced Circuits. ?Do you think I made >>>>> the >>>>> right choice? ?Do you have any recommendations? ?I would like to >>>>> receive the >>>>> board 3-5 days. >>>>> T.I.- Hide quoted text - >>>> >>>> - Show quoted text - >>> >>> >>> I've used ExpressPCB for small projects before, but always 2-layer >>> stuff. >>> I've never had a problem with them, or their boards. >>> >>> As for being "locked-in" to their software, for an extra $60 (last >>> time I checked), they will send you the Gerber files. From there, you >>> can import to many of the other programs avail. >>> >> >> Then if you need to make a little change it'll be another $60? >> >> >>> Also, I recall hearing a while ago that a lot of these PCB prototype >>> houses are all built at the same place anyway. So, while you might >>> see 10 different company names (i.e., resellers), the boards >>> themselves all come from the same place. Sorry, I don't remember the >>> names of the companies involved, and don't know whether ExpressPCB is >>> one of them. >>> >> >> I have also used 4PCB, quite happy so far. They only messed up once >> (unapproved Gerber edits) but made good on that with an additional >> fast run, on the house. The nice thing is that I always have a real >> contact person there. She really helped us when they defaulted to this >> dreaded RoHS process which we absolutely did not want. >> > Well, there are Gerber editors...
Very frowned upon in industry and (usually) off limits in medical. It's like printing out a picture, editing it with white-out and scanning it back in. You typically lose the documentation trail. IOW your original CAD file no longer matches the product. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/ "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. Use another domain or send PM.
I have had great luck with Eagle + www.fast5protos.com Chris