EmbeddedRelated.com
Forums

Suggestions-for-802-15-4-kit

Started by cogwsn 7 years ago1 replylatest reply 7 years ago62 views

(I posted this first  in dsprelated, then realized that the post is more appropriat here)

Hello, 

I am developing a SDR ZigBee receiver and for testing it, I need some commercial ZigBee node whose packets I can receive from my SDR solution and benchmark it. 

I need some suggestions on buying a 802.15.4 development kit with a suitable SDK. The kit should enable me to :

1. Vary the packet size and packet configuration 

2. Inter frame interval 

3. Data rate

4. RF power transmitted

5. Change the center frequency 

etc

For my WiFi SDR I use a VSG for testing, but that VSG cannot generate ZigBee signals. 

TIA

Sumit

[ - ]
Reply by pahanelaJuly 8, 2017

Hi cogwsn,

I would suggest you to go with XBee ZigBee modules from Digi. They have most convenient API among all ones I have been working with. Although control of MAC layer (802.15.4) is not fully exposed, still you will be able to configure transmission parameters including packet header options, RF power, frequency channel to some level of flexibility.

If you want to get control of low level , then probably some options from TI (CC2530, CC2630 with SmartRF06 evaluation board) or Silicon Labs (for example, EM35x development kit) can be helpful.

In any case, Digi XBee is a good option to start with ZigBee considering ease of use, good support and low price (no need to purchase expensive development kit and IDE like IAR Embedded Workbench).