Ulf, what of these new AVRs? :)

Started by larwe January 10, 2006
Jonathan Kirwan <jkirwan@easystreet.com> writes:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:48:17 +0000, John Devereux > <jdREMOVE@THISdevereux.me.uk> wrote: > >>Apparently he is talking about *development tool* distributors. Why >>anyone would expect *them* to supply free chips is a mystery to me. > > More often than I recall once happening, I'm seeing the IC vendors > supplying tools -- some at rather steep pricing. If you look at > Analog Devices (for which I have long experience to draw upon), you > will see first that they provide the tools to use their ADSP-21xx > series for free. It runs in DOS and works extremely well. Any number > of seats you want -- they don't care, just buy their chips and they > are happy. No problems with the tools. Even their ice board, which > is a green circuit board with a push button in the middle, 4 rubber > glued-on pads underneath, and easy enough to use, was dirt cheap. Even > I bought one for personal use. > > Then they shifted to Windows, bought up a developer group or two, and > shifted over to a complicated and painful registration process and > charged serious money for the tools (several thousand dollars, as I > recall.) Now, they charge even more. And the ICE systems aren't > cheap, either. Now, you have to pony up some serious cash just to get > in the door. > > Some manufacturers are definitely making the software a profit center > of its own.
Then again I get the impression that some of them would like to support GNU more than they do, but are afraid of falling out with their "official" tool suppliers.
> Also, I also understand (from a number of conversations over the years > and trouble events I've experienced) that when the manufacturers used > to depend on outside software developers for their tools, their > manufacturing competition would sometimes "buy up" that company and > create a sudden trouble for their competition by refusing to continue > any relationship with them -- forcing them into disaster mode. So, > perhaps some of this is inevitable defensive measures.
This would also be an argument for manufacturers to actively support free tools. And I think this is happening. Take your example of Analog Devices. I have no inside knowledge, but it very much looks like they have sponsored the Blackfin port of gcc. -- John Devereux
John Devereux wrote:

> > Some manufacturers are definitely making the software a profit center > > of its own. > > Then again I get the impression that some of them would like to > support GNU more than they do, but are afraid of falling out with > their "official" tool suppliers.
Cirrus Logic told me this once. I wish I could remember the guy's name there, he is the most helpful semi vendor apps support engineer to whom I've ever spoken.

I'm just paraphrasing what you said. Go back and read what you posted:
>>> "Part of the problem is the attitude of some of the designers. >>> They will contact a distributor and say I need samples and >>> then go on to say they will be using all free/open source >>> tools. IE they are putting no investment in. So the >>> distributor thinks there is nothing in it for them >>> and can see no reason to supply any parts."
Note: You got me a sample eval board, not sample chips. I just gave it to a co-worker a couple of months ago, incidentally - though it likely will not lead to a design-in since Philips is persona non grata here.
"Chris Hills" <chris@phaedsys.org> wrote in message
> In article <878xtdvhhv.fsf@cordelia.devereux.me.uk>, John Devereux > <jdREMOVE@THISdevereux.me.uk> writes >>Chris Hills <chris@phaedsys.org> writes: >> >>> What the silicon companies do is provide samples to the local >>> distributors. Most small distributors can get samples of anything. They >>> know the local market well. I know of many small companies and one man >>> outfits who can easily get samples of almost anything. It depends who >>> you ask for samples. >>> >>> The system is not perfect but it works quite well. The problem is that >>> every home/hobby/acaddemic/student user wants free samples. They can buy
There are some valid points in this thread. Not in ANY other industry do people expect to buy retail quantities, get wholesale pricing and support and expect to talk to the Manufacturer's design engineers when something goes Fubar... Quite ridiculous really. There is an established food chain in the electronics industry and while it's natural to want more, you can't snub manufacturers for directing traffic through the correct channels. I don't enjoy purchasing petrol at retail prices - but do I expect to fill up at the refinery? Noooo... -Andrew M
In article <43cf697d$0$23593$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, Andrew M <noone@home.?> writes
>"Chris Hills" <chris@phaedsys.org> wrote in message >news:WW6XWUBm4jzDFAsm@phaedsys.demon.co.uk... >> In article <878xtdvhhv.fsf@cordelia.devereux.me.uk>, John Devereux >> <jdREMOVE@THISdevereux.me.uk> writes >>>Chris Hills <chris@phaedsys.org> writes: >>> >>>> What the silicon companies do is provide samples to the local >>>> distributors. Most small distributors can get samples of anything. They >>>> know the local market well. I know of many small companies and one man >>>> outfits who can easily get samples of almost anything. It depends who >>>> you ask for samples. >>>> >>>> The system is not perfect but it works quite well. The problem is that >>>> every home/hobby/acaddemic/student user wants free samples. They can buy > > > >There are some valid points in this thread. > >Not in ANY other industry do people expect to buy retail quantities, get >wholesale >pricing and support and expect to talk to the Manufacturer's design engineers >when >something goes Fubar... > >Quite ridiculous really. There is an established food chain in the electronics >industry and while it's natural to want more, you can't snub manufacturers for >directing traffic through the correct channels. > >I don't enjoy purchasing petrol at retail prices - but do I expect to fill up at >the >refinery? Noooo... > >-Andrew M
Exactly. The manufacturers talk to the large buyers The silicon distributors talk to the medium and smaller buyers Often the tools distributors are left to talk to the smaller users as even the people who only want a few will need to develop with tools. That is how it works. So you either need to be buying a large number or at least the tools for development. This is the general rule but of course everyone will know exceptions. My point was that if you only want a few parts and you are not now, or have or will in the future buy any tools in whose interest is it to spend time and money supplying you with parts? BTW time also cost money. With the fuel analogy if you want 100 tankers worth you go to the refinery (and they will probably fill up your car for free when you go to do the deal). If you want 10 tankers worth you go to a distributor (and they may fill up your car at cost when you do the deal). If you want a car tank full you go to the local garage and if you are lucky they give you vouchers to spend more money with them. On the other hand if you are an F1 racing team or a vehicle manufacturer who is going to make lots of vehicle that will use the fuel they will supply you with free fuel for design and test. Have a tanker or two.... Nothing is free in this life. That is a fact. It is all paid for somewhere. Either in hard cash or in time which also cost money. This is why the silicon vendors like the free tools. They can get their chips in on a low risk strategy. They don't have to spend money to try the chips. Accountants like this. It is a commercial not a technical decision. This is business not religion. This is why the silicon distributors often let the tools companies have samples to distribute. If an engineer is buying one set of tools the they have made their margin and are happy to supply some samples. It does not waste the time of the silicon disti and the tool vendor does not care if the engineer makes one or 1000 systems. -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
In article <1137619682.345581.63340@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, larwe
<zwsdotcom@gmail.com> writes
> >Chris Hills wrote: > >> >Your posting said in more or less these words that people who use free >> >tools won't get, and don't deserve, part samples, because they're cheap >> >bastards who will never make a profit for anyone (an inference that >> >> No so. I recall getting samples for you at one point. > >I'm just paraphrasing what you said. Go back and read what you posted: > >>>> "Part of the problem is the attitude of some of the designers. >>>> They will contact a distributor and say I need samples and >>>> then go on to say they will be using all free/open source >>>> tools. IE they are putting no investment in. So the >>>> distributor thinks there is nothing in it for them >>>> and can see no reason to supply any parts." > >Note: You got me a sample eval board, not sample chips. I just gave it >to a co-worker a couple of months ago, incidentally - though it likely >will not lead to a design-in since Philips is persona non grata here.
Ok.... so I won't do it again. BTW was that a sensible comment from you? Who will take a chance of helping you now if they get that sort of reaction? -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Chris Hills wrote:
> In article <1137619682.345581.63340@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, larwe > <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> writes >> Chris Hills wrote: >> >>>> Your posting said in more or less these words that people who use free >>>> tools won't get, and don't deserve, part samples, because they're cheap >>>> bastards who will never make a profit for anyone (an inference that >>> No so. I recall getting samples for you at one point. >> I'm just paraphrasing what you said. Go back and read what you posted: >> >>>>> "Part of the problem is the attitude of some of the designers. >>>>> They will contact a distributor and say I need samples and >>>>> then go on to say they will be using all free/open source >>>>> tools. IE they are putting no investment in. So the >>>>> distributor thinks there is nothing in it for them >>>>> and can see no reason to supply any parts."
It seems pretty reasonable that if someone phones up a tool vendor, tells them they have no interest in the tools they are selling, but asks for sample parts, the tool vendor should politely suggest they go elsewhere. It is pretty unreasonable if they get the same reaction when phoning a parts distributor and get the same reaction. Since you, Chris, made no indication that you were talking about tool distributors rather than parts distributors, most people assumed that you meant parts distributors. Things get a little more complex if the distributor sells both parts and tools, I suppose, but most are heavily biased one way or the other.
>> Note: You got me a sample eval board, not sample chips. I just gave it >> to a co-worker a couple of months ago, incidentally - though it likely >> will not lead to a design-in since Philips is persona non grata here. > > Ok.... so I won't do it again. > > BTW was that a sensible comment from you? Who will take a chance of > helping you now if they get that sort of reaction? >
He bought (or got free?) a sample card, but it didn't work out so they are not using the part. What's wrong with that? That's what samples are for - to evaluate parts or cards, before committing to manufacture.
Chris Hills wrote:
> [...]
Put this in context again, please: You gave me the EVB approximately two years ago to be the kernel of a book project as long as I would use Keil tools in the book. I couldn't make a good project out of it at the time [to be accurate, I couldn't think of a book idea that was sufficiently different from my first book to be worthwhile]. Approximately two MONTHS ago, a co-worker was looking at various ARM options, so I gave him this board to experiment on and evaluate the LPC21xx part that's on it (it's so long ago now that I don't even remember what it is).
> BTW was that a sensible comment from you? Who will take a chance of > helping you now if they get that sort of reaction?
ROFL. I'm not concerned - Philips comes here regularly to beg us to design in their parts again. We are a multi-billion-dollar corporation with a directive to design out Philips. I think that "help" will come from Philips, in the form of crateloads of samples, evaluation boards, live-in field applications engineers, fully stocked portable mini-bars, and personal masseuses, if ever we show the slightest interest. As far as my personal/contract/writing projects are concerned, the dispute between Philips and my employer is amusing, but nothing to do with me. (This is another reason why you won't - except for one totally random instance - ever find my name and my employer's name on the same page on the Internet). The processor on my PDP-1 emulator board is a Philips ARM part, by the way - happy? Z80 or 8088, I don't discriminate.
"Andrew M" <noone@home> writes:
> There are some valid points in this thread. > > Not in ANY other industry do people expect to buy retail > quantities, get wholesale pricing and support and expect > to talk to the manufacturer's design engineers when > something goes fubar...
> Quite ridiculous really. There is an established food > chain in the electronics industry and while it's natural > to want more, you can't snub manufacturers for directing > traffic through the correct channels. > > I don't enjoy purchasing petrol at retail prices - but > do I expect to fill up at the refinery? Noooo...
Not a good analogy -- gasoline is a commodity and it's all the same everywhere. You don't need info from the refinery about the details of its internal workings to be able to use it.
In article <1137683943.215843.152000@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
larwe <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> writes
> >Chris Hills wrote: >> > >> >Note: You got me a sample eval board, not sample chips. I just gave it >> >to a co-worker a couple of months ago, incidentally - though it likely >> >will not lead to a design-in since Philips is persona non grata here. >> >> Ok.... so I won't do it again. > >Put this in context again, please: You gave me the EVB approximately >two years ago to be the kernel of a book project as long as I would use >Keil tools in the book. I couldn't make a good project out of it at the >time [to be accurate, I couldn't think of a book idea that was >sufficiently different from my first book to be worthwhile].
Fair enough. Mind you I think at the time you were also "distracted" by a change of employment due to the company you worked for folding. As you say it is difficult to do two books on the same architecture and make them that different.
>Approximately two MONTHS ago, a co-worker was looking at various ARM >options, so I gave him this board to experiment on and evaluate the >LPC21xx part that's on it (it's so long ago now that I don't even >remember what it is).
OK.... BTW I thought you said you had a directive to design out Philips?
>> BTW was that a sensible comment from you? Who will take a chance of >> helping you now if they get that sort of reaction? > >ROFL. I'm not concerned - Philips comes here regularly to beg us to >design in their parts again. We are a multi-billion-dollar corporation >with a directive to design out Philips.
That is different to one person/small company asking for a sample.
> I think that "help" will come >from Philips, in the form of crateloads of samples, evaluation boards, >live-in field applications engineers, fully stocked portable mini-bars, >and personal masseuses, if ever we show the slightest interest.
:-) Nice position to be in but it is a commercial world. If John Doe phones up and asks for sample for a run of 10 I bet he won't get the same reaction (if any)
>As far as my personal/contract/writing projects are concerned, the >dispute between Philips and my employer is amusing, but nothing to do >with me. (This is another reason why you won't - except for one totally >random instance - ever find my name and my employer's name on the same >page on the Internet).
Fair enough. It also proves my point that it is a commercial world and the more money you are looking to spend the more help you get. So for a person looking for free samples who is not spending any money is not going to get anywhere. The way round this, in part, for the silicon distis is to let tool distis have some samples. Then when some one is buying tools for the part in question they can throw in some samples. In some cases samples go to people who bought tools "last time" if not now. IE bought an ARM compiler for Philips but this time want to look at an Atmel ARM now etc. So most Engineers can get samples even for hobby projects. If I have a good customer who says can I have some samples for a personal project It is not usually a problem. Surely you have good relationships with some silicon or tools vendors who will give you samples for you own use? -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/