EmbeddedRelated.com
Forums
The 2024 Embedded Online Conference

Recommendation for BLE MCU with good software API

Started by rrzayev 3 years ago4 replieslatest reply 3 years ago106 views

I have been using nRF52 series microcontroller for Bluetooth Low Energy projects. The software development kit of Nordic seems very complex to me. For example, I am unable to start a new project from scratch (you need to start from example templates which have SDKCONFIGs with thousands of lines), the project structure is difficult and etc. 

I wanted to ask if there are any other BLE MCUs which offer better software development experience? I came across to products from TI, Cypress Semiconductors, Dialog Semiconductors and others. If any of you have used them, could you please tell how they compare to Nordic SDK? 

Please don't misunderstand me, Nordic provides great support in the forum, the code is well commented, they have many tools and etc. Its just the software development process with their SDK looks really difficult to me, and I saw many similar complaints on their forum.

I would appreciate your assistance.

[ - ]
Reply by martin_harnevieFebruary 9, 2021

Also being a long time Nordic user and fan, from the nRF24s onwards, I understand your concern. Recently I purchased a few Arduino Nano BLE 33 Sense to check if I could do development much faster. This one has the Arduino Nano form factor and pinout but with a Nordic nRF52840 on it. But I just haven't had enough time to get on with it, so I'm also very interested in exactly the questions you ask here.

[ - ]
Reply by peinalFebruary 9, 2021

I have not developed any BLE, but have used Silicon Labs devices before and have always been very happy with their tools, support, example code, forums. I recommend you look at their products and try one. A quick-search seems to show that they have BLE devices.  Good luck...

[ - ]
Reply by dnjFebruary 9, 2021

Over the years, I have tried several BLE modules and chips. For quick and simple implementation, I recommend Cypress.

The first thing I would do is to purchase the development kit. At one time, it was called the Pioneer kit. It was a couple of BLE modules, a motherboard and a USB module for developing OTA updates.

Then, watch the videos for developing with their IDE. It starts out simple but they grow in complexity through the series. The IDE allows pin assignments, internal building block organization and BLE protocol creation. It is a terrific tool.

I've used several modules both as stand alone main processors (loads of peripherals) and communication links in larger projects. I keep coming back to Cypress

[ - ]
Reply by rrzayevFebruary 9, 2021

Thank you for your feedback. I was also curious about Cypress products. I guess will give it a try. 

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference