EmbeddedRelated.com
Forums
The 2024 Embedded Online Conference

Which Linux Editor should I use ?

Started by learn 6 years ago8 replieslatest reply 6 years ago126 views
My large 'C' language code is in Linux Server.

Which Linux Editor should I use to edit and navigate my source code?

I need to use powerful editor that has powerful source code navigation.  For example, from function call, one keystroke will navigate to function definition.  From 'C' source file, one keystroke will open the include file.

There should be comprehensive information to  learn the editor from book or other sources.

From windows computer, I telnet to Linux Server.  

The folder structure that contains my source code is in my home directory.
[ - ]
Reply by jmford94January 16, 2018

Assuming you're not trolling us, here's a reply  :)

I suggest you try different editors, and find one that suits you.  Consider other editors that you must use in your daily work.  I am familiar with three editors, and I generally stick with one that I can use anywhere I need an editor. 

If you use an IDE in Windows for other projects, you might try to find an editor for Linux with the same keystroke shortcuts.  If you google for linux editors you will find a lot of them.  Many are configurable as far as keystroke shortcuts.

I have used emacs and vi extensively over the years.  I prefer emacs because of the mode-less editing, but I know vi masters who are way faster at vi than I am at emacs.  I can switch from one to the other in a couple of days.  I am sure that there are more modern and widely used editors.  I think the Eclipse IDE can be set up to use either vi or emacs mode, and probably a multitude of other modes.

I don't think you will find a one-key shortcut to other files/functions, but a few-key shortcut is common.

John

[ - ]
Reply by learnJanuary 16, 2018

Please provide information on setting up Eclipse IDE for vi.

[ - ]
Reply by jmford94January 16, 2018

You can google 'Eclipse VI plugin' for a list of eclipse plug-ins that support VI commands.

[ - ]
Reply by Tim WescottJanuary 16, 2018

Eclipse, Microsoft Code, and, of course, vim and Emacs.

I prefer Eclipse, because it works for a lot of different languages and has good debugging support.

[ - ]
Reply by s-lightJanuary 16, 2018

additionally to the named ones:

if you like to use a grapic-based editor you could try Atom
it can be configured with thousands of plugins to behave as you want...
its base is an 'simple' editor but there are plugins out there to add IDE-like functionality. and if you missing some functionality you can also create a plugin yourself... ;-)

its cross-platform (linux, windows and MacOS)

sunny greetings
stefan

[ - ]
Reply by rchavezJanuary 16, 2018

Visual Studio Code or Sublime.

[ - ]
Reply by trmittal24January 16, 2018

Sublime is a great text editor. You might want to have a look at it.

[ - ]
Reply by BVRameshJanuary 16, 2018

You can try Net beans IDE editor, which has lot of features for navigation across multiple files in project...

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference