Alternative terms for master and slave

Started by Brad Eckert in comp.arch.embedded7 months ago 35 replies

It seems the terms *master* and *slave* are being phased out of the tech lexicon with help from Google. I know this is like herding cats, but I...

It seems the terms *master* and *slave* are being phased out of the tech lexicon with help from Google. I know this is like herding cats, but I have a proposal for a terminology change. Just replace *master* and *slave* with *Alice* and *Bob* respectively. *Bob* attaches to *Alice* and then *Alice* tells *Bob* what to do, so it's easy to remember. Isn't that more fun than *master* and *slave*? ...

Codewright Failure

Started by rickman in comp.arch.embedded7 months ago 26 replies

Newsgroups are my last ditch resource for bugs with old software. I know Codewright is old and no longer supported. But I have it and I'm...

Newsgroups are my last ditch resource for bugs with old software. I know Codewright is old and no longer supported. But I have it and I'm not ready to switch. Meanwhile, something happend while I was running in safe mode and now Codewright is messed up when running in standard windows mode. I can open files, but I can't select anything in them or do any edits. I can't even position...

Soldering Thermal Pads

Started by Rick C in comp.arch.embedded8 months ago 9 replies

I'm helping with a board design of a few surface mount components with large thermal loads. The main problem is a part that has large pads. The...

I'm helping with a board design of a few surface mount components with large thermal loads. The main problem is a part that has large pads. The guy is laying it out ignoring the suggestions of the data sheet and simply put five 16 mil drill vias to the bottom layer with a lot of copper. That's about like connecting with five thermal breaks, 50 mil wide and 62 mil long. He

ARM GCC bug - No response?

Started by Dave Nadler in comp.arch.embedded8 months ago 5 replies

Anybody ever posted bug reports on GCC as built+distributed by ARM? I posted what I thought was a decently written (and very real) bug report,...

Anybody ever posted bug reports on GCC as built+distributed by ARM? I posted what I thought was a decently written (and very real) bug report, but I have never received any response at all: https://bugs.launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/+bug/1905459 Any ideas? Thanks, Best Regards, Dave

Notification parsing times

Started by Don Y in comp.arch.embedded8 months ago

I present "notifications", from time to time (as do most apps). These may be error messages, reminders, etc. In many cases, I do NOT want the...

I present "notifications", from time to time (as do most apps). These may be error messages, reminders, etc. In many cases, I do NOT want the user to have to acknowledge the notification for it to be dismissed -- this adds another step to the UI that may not be convenient for the user. Assume device is tied to a particular user (at some point in time -- i.e., can be "customized" for thei...

Changes in Google Groups - sources posted to Usenet lost forever?

Started by Wojciech ZaboŇāotny in comp.arch.embedded8 months ago 13 replies

A few Usenet groups allowed users to post their source code as shar archive. The Google Groups website supported access to those groups, viewing...

A few Usenet groups allowed users to post their source code as shar archive. The Google Groups website supported access to those groups, viewing the message in the original (raw) format and upacking the sources. Unfortunately, last update of Google Groups has dropped a possibility to access the original of the Usenet posts. The "formatted" (in fact corrupted) version of the message does not ...

I2C Single Master: peripheral or bit banging?

Started by pozz in comp.arch.embedded8 months ago 28 replies

I hate I2C for several reasons. It's only two-wires bus, but for this reason it is insidious. I usually use hw peripherals when they are...

I hate I2C for several reasons. It's only two-wires bus, but for this reason it is insidious. I usually use hw peripherals when they are available, because it's much more efficient and smart and because it's the only possibility in many cases. Actually we have MCUs with abundant UARTs, timers and so on, so there's no real story: choose a suitable MCU and use that damn peripheral. So I...

Crosscompiling for ARM: reloc type R_ARM_ABS32 is not supported for PIC - how to solve ?

Started by Prijazen Dom in comp.arch.embedded8 months ago 2 replies

I'm trying to crosscompile MQTT client for ARM platform. At the final step, creation of binaries, the system reports errors below. I guess that...

I'm trying to crosscompile MQTT client for ARM platform. At the final step, creation of binaries, the system reports errors below. I guess that I overlooked something... What could be the reason ? I'm not sure whether this is the problem of program I compile, or toolchain or any setting ? Thanks in advance, regards, R. Log : .... ... arm-2010q1/arm-uclinuxeabi/bin/elf2flt: error: re...

Simulator for embedded systems

Started by pozz in comp.arch.embedded9 months ago 5 replies

Usually I can build my projects for embedded platforms for target board and for mingw compiler under Windows. Of course I simulate hw...

Usually I can build my projects for embedded platforms for target board and for mingw compiler under Windows. Of course I simulate hw peripherals (UART, LEDs, and so on) in some way. I usually have a debug console where I can type some commands to simulate something. For example, if I have analog inputs, I can type the command an1 300 to simulate the ADC result (300pt) for analo...

Speakers

Started by Rick C in comp.arch.embedded9 months ago 15 replies

What do they use in cell phones for speakers? I need something that will produce 90 dB at 10 cm at 250 Hz and should not be so large. The...

What do they use in cell phones for speakers? I need something that will produce 90 dB at 10 cm at 250 Hz and should not be so large. The inexpensive devices I find are either not so small (under 2") or have no low end, duh. But they have great speakers in cell phones and I know they squeeze on the buckaroonies big time. How do they do it? Is it about creating speaker cabine

Ask a Question to the EmbeddedRelated community

To significantly increase your chances of receiving answers, please make sure to:

  1. Use a meaningful title
  2. Express your question clearly and well
  3. Do not use this forum to promote your product, service or business
  4. Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language
  5. Do not post content that violates a copyright